We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cayacoa? or El Portillo? can you help me decide?

Ballina, Ireland
Level Contributor
639 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Cayacoa? or El Portillo? can you help me decide?

I know nobody can make my mind up but me, however I am trying to decide which of these hotels to choose, my main concern is that I have a varied age group traveling with me, a 24 yr old and 18 yr old, and a 6 and 4 year old. Where my elder two are not huge party animals , I wouldn't want them to get bored, I see from some reviews that the cayacoa is quiet, but we love the idea of its beauty and scenery, perhaps it isn't that quiet, are there things to pass the evening if you don't want to just sit and watch the hotel dancers? Is it so pretty that it is worth the quietness, and is the town suitable for our two elder children to safley just go and mosey in the local bars? Are the water sports ok in the cayacoa ?

Because I am leaning towards the cayacoa, I havent read all the reviews for the el portillo, .

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cayacoa? or El Portillo? can you help me decide?

With 19 & 17 yr old daughters in tow... my logic is very simple.

As and when they pay for their holiday, they can go/do whatever they want... if I am paying, then I'll choose the venue that suits me and the other half!

To be honest for the past couple of years, they unpack, hit the pool and we barely see them again until dinner time .. and not always then :)

So, if you want to go to a nice quiet remote island... you go there and maybe, if your lucky your eldest won't want to accompany you next year (my guess is they still will... ;)

Edited: 14 July 2010, 20:29
Ballina, Ireland
Level Contributor
639 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cayacoa? or El Portillo? can you help me decide?

Ha ha, you are right, They don't grumble, I just would hate it to be too quiet, I have chosen the Cayacoa, and I showed them the two hotels and asked which they preferred, and they too chose the cayacoa so it will be ok, they won't grumble too much. My eldest hasn't been with us for the last few years as he was both in uni, and working. So it will be fun all of us being together.

new jersey
Level Contributor
351 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cayacoa? or El Portillo? can you help me decide?

I had the same question, but my 20 year old wont go this time!!! Preferes to stay home and enjoy whatever is left from his vacations at home., however, i have an 11 year old and someone else told me the Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo is less quite... the other one's are just to quite for teenagers and youngsters!, WIll be there in August, so let me know how u liked it and how was ur time! Have fun, my country is beautiful but I havent been to 'Samana myself.

4. Re: Cayacoa? or El Portillo? can you help me decide?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2011, 05:17