We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips from Samana

London
3 posts
Save Topic
Day Trips from Samana

Hi.

I'm thinking of visiting the Gran Bahia Principe Cayacoa later this year but was wondering how easy it is to take day trips from here, preferably independently. I'd like to see some of the real DR, some of the nature, visit other beaches etc.

Is this easy to do from here, with local buses or a hire car, or would we have to travel to far?

Is there much to see on the Samana peninsula itself?

Or... would I be better off staying in the Puerto Plata region for trips out?

Thanks

JC

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trips from Samana

you can find plenty to see in samana but for the most spectacular you would need to rent a quad or 4wd . some other options.... there are guaguas ( vans, trucks, etc) which travel from town to town (samana town, las terrenas, el limon and las galeras) . take one to las galeras and then a watertaxi to playa rincon or playa fronton. also you can take one(guagua) to el limom and then hire a horse to go to the waterfall salto el limon. also in samana town where your resort is there are boats that will take people to los hiatises national park. when or if you choose one of these just post back for more details. happy travels, ben

Santa Barbara de...
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trips from Samana

Having lived in Samana for 8 years I would say I am a little biased but Samana has it all over Puerto Plata. We are still new to the tourism game in our area so you have a great opportunity to see local culture and do things that you would think no other tourist has ever tried. Secluded beaches, awesome horseback tours in the El Valle area and the Devil's Mouth Blowhole. You won't believe some of our more popular spots that have no sign of being popular spots. Check out some of my pics on my profile page.

If you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll try not to be too biased.

Terry Lee Bandi

Ballina, Ireland
Level Contributor
657 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trips from Samana

Can you just hire the local taxi's to go to the other beaches, it seems there are so many beaches that it would be lovely to do a little while on most of them, or do you have to take a tour guide. I prefere local guides rather than the firstchoice or travel company guides, .

Santa Barbara de...
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trips from Samana

Yes you can do that as an option. Very few speak English but most are decent guys and a few are really good guys.

The problem with TFC is that they hire the cheapest local tour guide and the people who are selling the tours don't really know much about the tour destinations. Last year they were a couple of young girls who had been flown in from the UK and given a crash course in our area. They were nice girls but definitely not qualified in giving advice or answering many questions.

Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trips from Samana

See Raymond under the bridge at the beach once you arive there, if he is not there his co-worker might be or they will call him and he will come in 10 minutes. He arranged a couple of times for us to go visit Cayo Levantado and it was great. It was private and we were able to choose the time we left and came back. That way we avoided the cruiseship days. I am certain that he would be able to arrange for you any type of trip you desire and at a cheaper price then the hotel. Language can be a barrier but you can address that with him as he speaks English.

6. Re: Day Trips from Samana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2011, 05:20