We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sosua/cabarete vs samana

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
sosua/cabarete vs samana

Hi!

We are planning to go to DR, and we have decided NOT to go to the resorts in Punta Cana!! We like to be able to go out of the hotel and walk around, take a cab and try some of the local restaurants.

I have researched quite a bit and found sosua/cabarete to be somewhere we'll like to stay at (probably sosua) but then I found reviews about samana being another great place to visit.

Can anyone help and let me know the differences between sosua area and samana? Thanks in advance!!

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sosua/cabarete vs samana

I think you would like Sosua. It is larger than Cabarete and has more to do and see. There are many great restaurants and little hotels plus you aren't that far from Cabarete and Puerto Plata, both great places to go for a walk about and explore. We just got back from staying at the Casa Marina and thought it was excellent value for the money. The beaches aren't as expansive as Punta Cana but the town has a lively vibe about it. I think you would find Samana beautiful but much more laid back than Sosua.

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sosua/cabarete vs samana

It's difficult to advise without knowing more about what you want to get out of the trip.

As Grandpa mentioned, Sosua is larger than Cabarete. Depending upon what you want, that can be either a good or bad thing. I prefer Cabarete simply because it isn't as big as Sosua! The bar/night life is better in Sosua but with that, it is a bit seedier that Cabarete too. The beach/bay in Sosua in more 'gentle' where-as Cabarete is mainly windy with big waves. If you want to relax on a beach and snorkel then Sosua is better. But if you enjoy body-boarding, kite surfing or playing in big waves, then Cabarete wins. I get bored easily and can't just lie in the sun but I can watch & photograph kite-surfers all afternoon, so I'm happy in Cabarete.

I've only ever passed through Samana so can't advise you how that fits in. But if you go there in January/February or March then you are ideally situated for whale watching trips.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: sosua/cabarete vs samana

Thanks for your advice!!

Grandpa - Did you stay in Casa Marina Reef or Casa Marina Beach?

I am going with my bf and we are in our 30's. We are not big on bar/night life, we do plan on going on a few tours and be able to walk around the neighborhood. I saw some reviews that it's not very safe in Sosua, should I be worried about it?

I love swimming and snorkeling, but my bf doesn't swim so probably the waves are not for us.. We probably still want to go visit Cabarete, I saw people can take a cab there.

What about Puerto Plata? There are so many hotels there, I saw there's shopping and nice beach? I don't like the shopping that's basically for tourists, is this what this is? Another resort area?

BTW, I am looking to stay at Casa Valeria, and they actually have kitchen in some of the rooms... is there local grocery stores there? fresh seafood maybe?

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,256 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sosua/cabarete vs samana

Sosua is perfectly safe to walk about day or night. However do take the normal precautions you would when traveling anywhere. There are lots of very good restaruants about and lots of shops as well. As iom_keith mentioned the main beach in Sosua is usuually very calm with some very good snorkeling about 75 yards off the beach. The beach is also lined with numerous shops and restaurants. The main beach is a 5 min walk from the CM hotel. Right next to the hotel is Alecia (sp) beach which is usually calm as well but can have some waves. There are NO shops, beach vendors etc on this beach nor very good snorkeling but a great beach to lie around on and swim at.

Do go to Cabarete for a day and evening. Very long beach with as was pointed out waves but still a nice swimning area at the town side. Lots of great restaruants to have happy hour at with your toes in the sand watching the sunset and then dinner at the beach with your choice of many places to dine, all again with your toes in the sand. Taxi fare from CM to Cabarete is about $15 each way. You can also take public transport which would be a gua-gua ( van packed with people) or a publico (shared taxi again packed with people) both for around $1 per person. However they do not run later at night so you would need a taxi then.

Casa Valeria is a nice small hotel and there are grocery stores with in a short walk away. It is closer to the "actioin of the town" so a bit of noise and you find some "woking ladies" about in the evening. One of our favorite restaurants Orchidee is just a few steps away.

Let us know if you have other questions.

BObK

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sosua/cabarete vs samana

Hello again, Travel Addict. We stayed at the Casa Marina Reef. It is the only one that presently has a check in/ reception area due to the renovation work at these sister resorts. This wasn't a problem; hardly noticed it was ongoing. We were fortunate enough to get one of the renovated rooms- new bed, TV, furniture etc.

Yes, the Casa Valeria has two hotel rooms with kitchens. They are a bit larger and more expensive than the standard or luxury rooms, but we didn't think they were quite as nice as the ones without a kitchen. It was suggested to us by the owner that #7 was quieter than # 9 because it faced the courtyard and pool instead of the street. All of the rooms that were shown to us were very clean. We were impressed with their whole operation, including their little restaurant.

Have fun.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: sosua/cabarete vs samana

Thank you so much for your input!! We are definitely going to Sosua now!!!

One more silly question...Is it common to just hire a taxi at the airport(POP) to the hotel? Or is it better to ask the hotel to arrange a ride? Does the taxi have meter?

7. Re: sosua/cabarete vs samana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2011, 06:17