We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shore fishing at Cayo Levantado

Central Ontario
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Shore fishing at Cayo Levantado

I'm staying at the Gran Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado from Feb 26-March 1 and was wondering if anyone has ever tried shore fishing around the island. Is it worth bringing some tackle or does the hotel have any fishing rods on hand that I could borrow?

leics
Level Contributor
421 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shore fishing at Cayo Levantado

I suspect you'd need to bring your own - but having dived around there quite recently I wouldn't bother; locals have taken all the decent fish already.

Mind you - I was told the authorities are paying 500 peso apiece for Lionfish (to limit their invasion of the local reefs)..

NJ
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shore fishing at Cayo Levantado

Lionfish is very poisonous, without knowing how to handle it can be really dangerous... We saw it twice in a shallow water in DR at south caribbean coast.

Steve, my husband is also into shore fishing and thinking to bring a rod just for fun. Last trip to Turks and Caicos in December he did not catch anything from the shore but it's not the reason to try again in Samana.

Is there fishing licence required to fish in DR from the shore?

Edited: 04 February 2011, 19:12
Central Ontario
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shore fishing at Cayo Levantado

Babochka,

I know about the lion fish too. Nice to look at but not to handle. I have never tried fishing from shore in the DR before but I seem to remember various discussions happening on one of the other boards and I think the consensus was that no licence was required. Perhaps one of the local experts could voice an opinion on this...

As far as wetting a line goes, I still haven't decided on whether or not to bring the fishing rod.

kent
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Shore fishing at Cayo Levantado

Hi I am a very keen fisherman but must say I found it quite upsetting to see people fishing on the beach's where people (including us) were snorkelling and swimming etc.

I did see a large fish swim past me with a lure hanging out of its mouth,obviously people bring tackle thats light to transport but not up to catching large fish.If people want to fish while on holiday take a trip and help support the local community,if you do want to beach fish then find a remote spot (could be better fishing) away from swimmers etc.

I agree that the thought of standing in the warm sun fishing sounds great (normally cold wet and windy here)but please have some thought for your fellow vacationers who might not want to see the pretty fish they were snorkelling with being caught for no reason other than a bit of sport.

leics
Level Contributor
421 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shore fishing at Cayo Levantado

There are a few Barracuda around - mostly around 12in or so... Light tackle and a spinner for these, but if you find the occasional big brother it would be a challenge to land him..!

NJ
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shore fishing at Cayo Levantado

That's a problem for me about shore fishing too... Fish too small and too beautiful to harm! My husband never fish where people swim but from the pier you really can catch a good size barracuda and give it to the locals. Barracudas love hang out under the piers.

Runcorn, England
Level Contributor
14 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shore fishing at Cayo Levantado

Returned 3 days ago and I must say, did we go to other places? I fished the whole week but found the workers dock at the back of the island the ideal place and I didn't get in the way of the swimmers and sunbathers, I agree this is not on but with a bit of care you can fish the island and catch some great fish, I used fly and lure and caught lots of very hard fighting fish, See Antonio on the dock, he is the security guy from 7am-7pm and is a really nice bloke, can't speak much English but gets by, (he speaks more English than I do Spanish). I did try bait fishing but found it like shooting fish in a barrel, that easy. Lure fishing had me tested with big fish and fast fish, Silver lures work best, also 2" silver plugs, yes Silver is the key, Bait fish are everywhere on this island so you have predatory fish everywhere, DO NOT USE THE FISHING TRIP FROM THE WATERSPORTS CENTER. They do not have a clue and cost me $180 for 2 hours and 1 fish, a disgrace and the only down side to the trip.

All in all I have fished basically the world and this place is amazing, enjoy

Dorset
Level Contributor
11 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shore fishing at Cayo Levantado

Hi Mario, thanks for the good write up. I am going to this lovely island in September and taking a couple of travel rods. What breaking strain line do you recommend if using spinners as how big are the bigger fish ie barracuda? Not sure of taking fly rod but two travel spinning rods go with me most places with a small tackle box. Any tackle tips you could share i would be grateful for. Cheers

John

Edited: 12 July 2011, 20:54
9. Re: Shore fishing at Cayo Levantado

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 15:16