We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to Las Terranas

Orillia, Ontario
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get to Las Terranas

Hi, we are going to be staying at the Cayo Leventado from Nov. 14 - 21. Would like to go into one of the towns, I am thinking Las Terranas, just to wander around and shop. What is the best way to get there. Will the front desk arrange it for us or do we have to do it ourselves.

Lisbon,Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon, Samana Province, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
6,344 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get to Las Terranas

May i ask ask why Las Terrenas and not Santa Barbara de Samana that's just in front of Cayo?

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,853 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get to Las Terranas

Taxi is the easiest but a bit expensive, the hotel may have a better way or you could do as the locals do and take a guagua or carito which is cheap cheap.

Orillia, Ontario
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get to Las Terranas

whats the difference between samana town and samana de santa barbara. just assumed las terranas was the closes town

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get to Las Terranas

The nearest town to Cayo Levanatado is Samana Town. The town's setting is beautiful but there isn;t a great deal to do - worth a visit for a meal in the Chinese resyurant above the town. Las Terranas is at the other end of the peninsular and about 1 hours drive from Samana Town. Another option would be Las Galeras - small town/village at the eastern end of the peninsular. Great local coperative that sells fish and rice on the beach + access by boat to Playa Rincon - best beach in the coiuntry.

Lisbon,Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon, Samana Province, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
6,344 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get to Las Terranas

Like DomingoUK said the nearest town from Cayo is Santa Barbara de Samana (people call it Samana Town because is short, but i like to call it by the original name), because Cayo is on Samana Bay.

There you can shop on the supemakets, walk on the beautiful malecon, eat some nice local food, and yes eat on "El Chino" restaurant with the most wonderful view of Samana Bay. This will be your cheaper option, because the taxi from the Bahia pier to town is $40 USD and can take up to 4 persons. If you're in a small party i always advise to find someone at Cayo that also wants to go there to split the taxi.

If you're in the mood to spend a lot of money, ask in the front desk the price of the taxi to Las Galeras, that IMHO is well worth a visit instead of Las Terrenas.

Las Terrenas is the perfect place if you just want a place to sleep and get into the real Dominican way of life.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
166 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get to Las Terranas

I just don't understand why Las Terrenas is so popular. We walked there last year from the El Portillo and believe me as far as towns go, it wasn't worth the walk.

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get to Las Terranas

LT is a good mix of dominican culture and european influence. it has gorgeous beaches, good dining and nightlife and is just the size town i like. so far (i haven't been to the southwest yet) LT and the samana penisula are my favorite in the whole DR. and another thing i like about it is you can walk the streets and beaches and have few, if any, harassing vendors. just my 2cents worth.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
59 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get to Las Terranas

Thank you BenforPeace, we are planning to go to Las Terrenas for this Christmas Holiday and you described just what we are looking for.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get to Las Terranas

I agree with you kaaglo. 20 years ago it was still a relatively quite place. These days it is very much part of the main stream tourist industry. One probelm is that many of the tourist related businesses are owned by expats. It is debatable how many of the the local community have really benefited from tourism. If you want peace and quiet try Las Galeras or Playa Bonita closer to Las Terranas.

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to get to Las Terranas

while i agree for peace and quiet las galeras, playa bonita and playa coson are better options for balance sake i like LT. there is absolutely no nightlife in any of these other places and not many options for food, banks, grocery and other shopping and because of their remoteness are not as safe and tourists stick out and are more apt to be accosted by vendors and others. playa las balenas is as quiet as any area mentioned and is still walking distance to town, something these others are not. i am sure i would have loved LT 20yrs ago also :) but for me and the mrs we love it now as well. happy travels, ben

Edited: 09 October 2011, 20:53