We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving Samana

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving Samana

We flew back to Toronto from Samana yesterday afternoon and it was a pretty easy airport to go through. Checking in our luggage was no problem at all, no issues with weight or anything at all. going through security was quick and painless and nobody had any issues taking food through........

About an hour after going through security we were sitting in the departure lounge and heard our names paged to go to the desk at the boarding gate. We went over and were told that we were part of a random suitcase check and were told to go to the security area and wait. We waited with 15 other people and then security brought in our suitcases and went through them and I mean they go through everything :-) It was no big deal, the security staff were very nice and friendly and they packed everything back into your suitcase when they were finished so you just had to relock your suitcase. Apparently they pick a number of passengers randomly for every flight so if your name gets called don't panic, it's really no big thing :-)

La Ronge, Canada
Level Contributor
2,348 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving Samana

Thanks for the information Cairo... seems that it happens and it's just part of the security measures. Glad it all went well, and that you're home safe and sound.

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving Samana

There were a few suitcases checked during our wait time yesterday too....not ours tho !

Shelburne, Ontario
Level Contributor
271 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving Samana

I did not see any suitcases being checked yesterday at Samana airport. For the first time, I was not patted down but while I was standing there waiting for my husband to tie his shoes back up, I did see people being patted down. I did hear people being called over the intercom while sitting in the departure lounge and wondered why but I guess Cairo explained that above!! We had coffee, rum, etc. in our checked luggage and all was still there when we arrived home.

Mississauga
Level Contributor
816 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving Samana

Glad to hear everything went smooth, compared to some other reports previously.

Cobourg, Canada
Level Contributor
307 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving Samana

Did anyone experience these random suitcase checks when you arrived at Samana?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving Samana

I didn't - they do put your suitcases/carry ons through a scanner on arrival though which I had never seen before........

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving Samana

Suitcases & carryons were scanned upon arrival. Our suitcases were not involved in "random searches" coming home.

8. Re: Leaving Samana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2013, 10:30