We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cayo levantado public shops

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
522 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cayo levantado public shops

Have you been there?

What was your experience?

Would you like to see 1 set price with no bartering?

Many people hate bartering. In Canada we were brought up in a culture that does not barter.

The shops in the hotel are at a set price, therefore would you like to see a set price that is fair to both the seller and buyer be established on the public beach therefore lessening stress on both sides.

The vendors on this beach were wondering why we were not buying from them

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cayo levantado public shops

I agree, I hate bartering. I would rather pay more than engage in that process.

I did go to the public beach once to check out the vendors' wares-- not impressive in quality or variety. The first price I was quoted for a bag of coffee was $10 for one pound. I just laughed and told the guy that it's only $5 per pound at the hotel. He responded with, "Well how much do you want to pay?" I walked away and did all my shopping at the resort.

england
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cayo levantado public shops

The vendors on the beach have a huge captive market with the trips that come over - if you dont like to barter then the fixed price in the hotel shop is OK - when I go on holiday I try not to think about what it might cost in the UK if I want it I buy it if I think I can afford it.

Some things are very expensive in the hotel shop - all the stuff that is imported, shampoo batteries and sun tan lotion.

Regarding the beach vendors, yes some of the quality is a bit suspect, and I do wonder how old some of the stock is, we enjoyed drinking and eating down on the beach but did not buy any souvenirs, it is just not part of our holiday experience, but like mykel67 and others brought back cigars rum and coffee, which we bought at the hotel and packed in our main luggage paid a little more than Samana Duty Free but could have gotten a better deal in Samana Town I think.

La Ronge, Canada
Level Contributor
2,348 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cayo levantado public shops

I actually find it fun and amusing to barter with the vendors! You can usually end up paying about 25% of the price they started off with.... plus I like to think that I'm helping them out by buying stuff from them! The expensive hotel gift shop doesn't need my money as much as the vendors do...

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,541 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cayo levantado public shops

I agree with travel4fun - I like the interaction with the vendors :-) They were not at all pushy, they just let you wander around which was much different from other destinations where they were really aggressive. With respect to the hotel gift shop I didn't find it as pricey as other destinations I have gone to - the one that is in the courtyard actually had very good prices.......

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cayo levantado public shops

I have found 2 vendors who do fixed pricing. The pricing is very good. Better than the prices in Canada. For example a good quality hat selling for $30.00 in Canada the set price with Vendor named YNO is $8.00. They are of better quality than the ones offered in the hotel shop. Also Presidente t-shirts are $10,00 where in Canada a similar t-shirt could be $25.00. The other set price merchant is a beautiful lady named DORA KING When I do my review I will be putting videos on YOUTUBE of the vendors and pictures of the Vendors on FLIKR PHOTOS.

When I was there the vendors did not have their buildings numbered but YNO is in building 4 on the right side when entering the market.

Edited: 07 February 2012, 20:10
Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cayo levantado public shops

I too hate the game...........

But let me tell you that there is no such a thing as a fixed price in tourists shops in DR.

They may have a tag with a price on it, but thats only a price from where you can start your barter.....

Always try to bring it down to at least 20% less than the marked price.

They actually count with this,( and I personally know many vendors who have admited to this method.)

Edited: 07 February 2012, 21:13
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cayo levantado public shops

You cannot bargain in the tourist shops at the gran bahia principe in cayo levantado. It is fixed prices only.

It is a little different at the Pueblo Principe shops off the island where you can bargain. I found them to be more aggressive there than the public beach vendors.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cayo levantado public shops

mykel67 The price of coffee has gone up. At the store it was $8.50 and I got it for $6 a pound no hassle.

Depending on what you are looking for the best bargains are in clothing, paintings and wooden carvings. I found the quality of these items to be the same as in Canada.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cayo levantado public shops

veryhappytripper

I went to Samana town and the prices are higher their than the public beach vendors. Again the things I was looking for was art work, wooden carvings and clothes. The t-shirts and hats are more than 50% cheaper than what you can get in Canada. The artwork and carvings are probably 75% cheaper than in Canada.

Edited: 08 February 2012, 10:18
england
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cayo levantado public shops

Did not take a trip into Samana this holiday, the taxi fare would have made anything I bought that much more expensive, however I understand that the hotel are now offering the shopping trip once a week again so if you need to stock up on coffee and cigars, they it is certainly worth doing it that way.

As a point of interest we always buy beans and grind at home, I think the beans a less per kilo than ground coffee and of course they keep much better if the pack does not include a best before date.