We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation between Santo Domingo and Las Galeras

Speonk NY
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation between Santo Domingo and Las Galeras

What's the cheapest way to get to Las Galaras from airport

Santa Barbara de...
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation between Santo Domingo and Las Galeras

Walking.

Jokes. Well, really that is the cheapest. But the cheapest real option is Caribe Tours bus. Then take a gua gua from Samana out to Las Galeras.

Speonk NY
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation between Santo Domingo and Las Galeras

Ha Ha ! do you know how long the bus trip is? How about renting a car? Anyone ever drive there from the ariport?

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation between Santo Domingo and Las Galeras

I have driven it. Landed 1pm and drove like a mad man to get there before dark (barely). It is not a difficult drive by DR standards. Will take 2.5 hours or so, maybe closer to 3. A regular car will do but if you want to do any exploring while there an suv is recommended, or renting a quad for a day is also fun. The bus connections are a bit of a challenge and if you feel comfortable driving I'd say go for it.

Speonk NY
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation between Santo Domingo and Las Galeras

Thanks, first time visit to DR, not looking for all inclusive places any suggestions?

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation between Santo Domingo and Las Galeras

Rented a villa for our stay in LG with juanylolo. Quite a few b&b's that looked nice. Todo Blanco I've heard good things about.

england
Level Contributor
3,037 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation between Santo Domingo and Las Galeras

How is your spanish?

Our first trip to DR about 210 years ago, we went native a bit down around the caribean side of the island and there are lots of places that you can stay on spec so to speak - and the prices are good and the people friendly - however some Spanish would really help to make it a truly magical experience - the Samana peninsula is great but prices to hire cars and taxis are quite high due to the high cost of them in the first place in DR I guess.

As you will have seen most of the poster here are AI type people - hope you get some good help and have a fab holiday.

Edited: 11 March 2012, 09:20
Speonk NY
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation between Santo Domingo and Las Galeras

thanks everyone for your input

looking forward to an adventure

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation between Santo Domingo and Las Galeras

Definitely go to el cabito for dinner one night. I've heard the road to playa rincon is much improved so a trip there is nice, as is a boat taxi to playa fronton. Very relaxing and remote place to vacation.

Speonk NY
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation between Santo Domingo and Las Galeras

Thanks for the recommendation will check it out. Remote and relaxing is exactly what I want.

10. Re: Transportation between Santo Domingo and Las Galeras

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 10:40