We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this normal for this time of year?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
476 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Is this normal for this time of year?

Hi:

Have travelled to several places in the Caribbean but never in March. I know not to pay attention to weather forecasts but next week's has me a little concerned (not that I can do anything about it). Accuweather is saying 50-70% chance of rain all next week with thunderstorms everyday. I know it is common to have a little rain daily but this is predicting ~2 hours of rain during the days and more at night. Are these normal predictions for this time of year and how accurate are they usually? I'm actually mostly concerned that the thunderstorm predictions will cause my whale watching to be cancelled.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Lindsay, Canada
Level Contributor
475 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this normal for this time of year?

Thunderstorms are often in the forcast, esp when it's hot out. Follow Tour Samana with Terry's weather reports for the most accurate weather reports.

Rain doesn't usually last too long...... Hopefully you booked your whale watching with a tour operator who can be flexible if the weather is bad.

Deb

Toronto
Level Contributor
225 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this normal for this time of year?

Try to think positively Novicetraveler - Don't worry about things you can't control like airline strikes and weather. You are going to have a great trip!!! Looking forward to your review of CL. Cheers!

La Ronge, Canada
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this normal for this time of year?

The forecast showed showers for every day that we were there last week... we only saw rain one morning for a few hours! It did rain overnight a few times, but the rest of the time was sunny and hot! You're going to have a great time Novicetraveler.... no worries!!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
476 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this normal for this time of year?

Thanks everyone. I know I can't control the weather but just hoping the forecasts are inaccurate.

The whale watching tour is a large boat so hopefully the weather doesn't factor in too much.

I guess I'll find out.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,544 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this normal for this time of year?

It rained a few times when we were there but it was only for about 10-15 mins, it seemed to happen mid-morning when we were there in January. It did rain at night but I don't count that as it can rain all it wants at night :-)

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,256 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this normal for this time of year?

According to the online forcasts it rains here 362 days of the year. In fact this week with just beautiful sunny days (one day of showers) the online forecast have showen rain every day.

My advise is pack the sunscreen!!!!!

BObK

Edited: 16 March 2012, 11:19
Lisbon,Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon, Samana Province, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,031 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this normal for this time of year?

I just have the same advise as BObK: Pack the sunscreen!!!!!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,544 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this normal for this time of year?

Good to see you back PMAL!

Lisbon,Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon, Samana Province, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,031 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this normal for this time of year?

Just dropping a couple of lines... i have had a drawback last time, but i now i hope i'm on the right path... Thanks for you concern!

Edited: 16 March 2012, 19:40
10. Re: Is this normal for this time of year?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 06:42