We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cayo Levantado Adults only July 2013

Belledune
Level Contributor
263 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Cayo Levantado Adults only July 2013

Hi all....

I was just reading up on our vacation details, and from what I can see on the Air Canada Vacations site Cayo Levantado is going to be an adults only resorts starting July 2013. Did anyone else know this was happening?

From much what I have been reading in reviews, most people state there are not to much activities at this Resort for children anyways.

But I am hoping that all have been made aware, just in case they are thinking about booking with children for next summer.

Or maybe most people knew this and I am late on getting information.

Cheers everyone!

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
707 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cayo Levantado Adults only July 2013

Definetly not a resort u wanna bring children to anyway. They would be bored stiff. Its a place to go and relax and be treated like royalty..

england
Level Contributor
3,050 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cayo Levantado Adults only July 2013

A lot of people have commented on the fact that they would prefer this to be AO resort however whenever we have been the small amount of children have been no issue whatsoever, do agree with post 1 though little or nothing for kids to do but the staff do make a real effort to engage them and there is a kids club of sorts.

During the time that we have been visiting this resort we have seen it bow to the requests of its visiting guests by relaxing the dress code in the restaurants and now this - although non of the UK operators are yet stating that it is AO and the 2013 summer brochures have been out for sometime now so maybe its just the canadian kids that cant come.... lol

Belledune
Level Contributor
263 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cayo Levantado Adults only July 2013

LOL maybe veryhappy

I actually did not know either that this was going to change. When we made our reservations last month, it did not state this change anywhere, I just noticed it yesterday.

Although we usually only go to AO resorts, after reading the reviews most state there are not many children there, and they are usually very well behaved.

I am anxious to go weather there are a few children or not, the place seems amazing!

Cheers Angie

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,553 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cayo Levantado Adults only July 2013

That would be awesome as this resort is really more suited to adults only. I love kids, don't get me wrong but there were kids there at the same time as us and it was obvious that they were extremely bored...........

england
Level Contributor
3,050 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cayo Levantado Adults only July 2013

I think that we normally choose to go on holiday outside the kids holidays as we had a very bad experience in Turkey many years ago but that was the whole family that demonstrated the absolute worse in brits on holiday.... but to this day I would rather have badly behaved kids than badly behaved adults.

Some of the reviews of this resort indicate to me that people do not read the small print and have expectations that are unreasonable and do not compare with what they thought they were buying when the booked their holiday. We are off to Sharm next week and rescent posts there show zenophobic tendancies coupled with an inability to recognise what you might get for your money. Some people are paying less than £50 per day AI and expect 5 star food, rooms, drink and entertainment.

Making Cayo Adult Only will appeal to a lot of people just wish we could make it a tosser free zone as well.

Toronto
Level Contributor
696 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cayo Levantado Adults only July 2013

Hi everyone

Hi veryhappytripper - nice to see you continue to contribute - your input is always so valuable.

It's been a while for me on this forum.

I disagree with the comments of this being a resort you don't want to bring kids. When we want the children to be highly stimulated and busy, we take them to disney or places similar. For us, a beach vacation is family time spent together and not leaving the kids at kids clubs. Our children enjoyed CL and ask about going back.

I also believe a family resort benefits financially. Rarely do they house 4 adults in one room but they do place 2 adults and 2 children in one room - this ups their profits as they are able to accommodate more visitors. When we travel with our children our nights are earlier and we don't consume as much alcohol either. Not sure if the hotels also like this factor.

I have attended AO resorts and family resorts (both with children and without) and I really don't see the difference except for some drunken and unruly adults in AO resorts and some bad parenting at family resorts. Both can impact the enjoyment of the other guests.

Just my opinion.

england
Level Contributor
3,050 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cayo Levantado Adults only July 2013

Hi pleasemum just putting the finishing touches to our holiday spreadsheet to Sharm next week.... just could not afford Cayo this year as we were in Croatia in May fab place lovely people. Talking of lovely people I think that you know that as a family group you were special, you went on holiday as a family and did things together as a family. Unfortunately sometimes when you go to a hotel you meet people who are looking for somewhere to leave their kids for a couple of hours.....

I think that you need a balance, I am unsure that many people with children would think that Cayo offered the perfect place to vacaction, however if your children and young adults like to do family things and appreciate the type of surroundings that Cayo offers that is great, I am certain that by excluding one type of guest from a location is not the best way to ensure that everyone has a good time, however, ensuring that travel agents and sites like Trip Advisor provide accurate information about what guests can expect will ensure that everyone has a good time. The people who appear to be the most unhappy are those who expect something that they are not going to get.

Toronto
Level Contributor
696 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cayo Levantado Adults only July 2013

All good points veryhappytripper!!

I think knowing what to expect is important. We were not expecting a whole lot of child centred activities. But I suppose even if there were, we would not be sending our kids off alone for considerable periods. When we want adult time, we take a separate vacation and leave kids home with grandma. We were in Punta Cana AO and Las Vegas this year. Next year we will take the kids to CL (if it remains a Family Resort) and possibly France.

I suppose for me it is a shame that resorts like this become adults only because some travelors feel that it does not meet the needs of families. It appears that the majority will rule. I can respect that.

I like resorts that actually don't have a lot of activities for kids - this way they can enjoy time with us and each other.

Gone are the days when kids are entertained by looking out the window on a family car ride.

Happy travels and planning (on the spreadsheet of course!!)

Edited: 02 September 2012, 20:52
London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,553 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cayo Levantado Adults only July 2013

A great option would be to do like the Majestic resorts in Punta Cana do. Perhaps have a section of the resort that is adults only and make one of the pools adults only. That way everybody could still enjoy this beautiful island.

Toronto
Level Contributor
696 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cayo Levantado Adults only July 2013

Hi Cairo

Good idea - but wonder if the resort is too small to section off.

I am sure we can find another place to visit - might even go without the kids to CL if it becomes AO but we can't tell them- shhh

There are other places to visit with the kids - they are getting older so sooner or later they won't want to travel with us. I suppose we should enjoy it while we can.

Get answers to your questions about Samana Province