We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
Car rental

Hello all I was wondering if I can get some input about car rentals and how it is to drive around. Thanks a lot.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,780 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental

It is not a good idea. Between bad roads, bad and drunk drivers and draconian laws it just isn't worth it for the tourist.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental

Well thanks for the info kind of thought as much but never been there so thought I would ask.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental

I've been to all four corners of the DR and I wouldn't drive, although the Samana area is better than most. Maybe I'll see you in Samana and no, I'm not really Ron Lancaster. Just a displaced and the only Rider fan on the East coast.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental

LOL well thanks Ronnie.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental

Maybe I was just lucky, but I was driving in Dominican Republic few months ago for 5 days and I have nothing (or nearly nothing) negative to say about it. Must say I was very nervous reading all TA advices against doing it, just to find out that it's all not that bad. To start with car rental, I got one from Dollar which costed me 160 US for 5 days including some additional coverage (ALI, CDW) for basic, small 4 wheel car :). Experience was no different than renting a car in USA, and MUUUUCH BETTER than renting a car in Munich, Germany. I drove pretty much from SDQ thru Juan Dolio where we were staying, up to Bayahibe where we were diong some scuba activities. We were prepaired with some pre-printed maps that helped significantly, but at least were I was driving there were decent asphalt roads, there were sufficient signs, and as long as you have a sense of direction you cen get where you want with no problem. The biggest challenge was to pass thru La Romana, quite congested traffic so concentration is MUCH needed but again I found it much more difficult to drive around Munich without GPS than thru 3-rd largest city in Dominican Republic. Two things that you have to pay attention to is kids wanting to clean your windshield on almost every traffic light, and ocassionaly guys on motorcycles going the opposite direction (but very close to the side). Also there's a funny intersection of two supposedly Highways nearby San Pedro de Macoris - two roads crossing without even a stop sign :)))

Again I might have been lucky, but for me driving in DR was fun, and will do it again if I go there in the future.

6. Re: Car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2014, 06:16