We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phone bill after Xmas holiday!

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
485 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Phone bill after Xmas holiday!

Got my phone bill today.... £100 - oops!

One call to my mum was £25 for 16 minutes. It was quite cool see Dom Rep on the bill though.

Bedford
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phone bill after Xmas holiday!

When we had been at BP El P for a mere two days last Easter, MrFitts got a text from his PA saying they were rather concerend because he had run up a phone bill of £2,000, yes, two thousand pounds. Shock horror, All to do with roaming charges; don't understand the details but fortunately the billing company accepted there was some sort of fault, and the bill was cancelled. Big sigh of relief all round.But we have been very wary since then.

Leeds, Engalnd
Level Contributor
2,796 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phone bill after Xmas holiday!

Miss ....roaming charges are applied when you fail to take your phone off roaming (searching for available networks it can connect to) and it automatically logs in to other companies / countries airtime/ space/ network , flying to and from the dom rep and traveling in it u pass throu quite a few .... it is smart phones, android and I phones that are connected to the internet that it affects ....

it happens in England too but u usually get a message telling u your device is roaming and you may be charged extra :-)

Santa Barbara de...
Level Contributor
2,088 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phone bill after Xmas holiday!

It's best to rent a local cell phone instead of paying those ridiculous roaming charges or the $1 a min from the hotel phones. You can get a local cell phone for around $10 for the week and pay only .30 cents a min to just about anywhere in the world. The cell phones here in the country all get free income texts and calls as well.

Tour Samana With Terry

Mississauga
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phone bill after Xmas holiday!

Hi Terry,

Could you please advise us where we can get the cell phones ?........Do we have to travel to Samana town for this. We are staying at CL

Thanks.

Bedford
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phone bill after Xmas holiday!

Yes, same question from me, please Terry, staying at El Portillo..

Bedford
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phone bill after Xmas holiday!

I'd been having a look at Terry's website, with a view to sorting out trips when we are in EP, and found out that he offers cell phone rental just as he described. I have established with him directly that one of his staff turns up every day on the public beach at CL; BPEP is more complicated, but easy if your transfer is with him. Obviously he can't mention this here, because of TA advetising guidlines, but if you are interested, as we certainly are after the £2,000 fiasco, just google Tour Samana With Terry and you will find all the info there, right hand, top of home page. (While you are at it, make sure you do his zipline tour!)

Mississauga
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phone bill after Xmas holiday!

Thank you MissFitts for the valuable info. Much appreciated.

I will try to find his rep at the public beach.

Cheers.

Bedford
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phone bill after Xmas holiday!

SasL, probably worth emailing Terry in advance in order to check out how you will recognise his rep and where precisely he will be (at the landing pier I guess , but that IS a guess).

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
485 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Phone bill after Xmas holiday!

Really wish I'd known that! Great info, thanks!

Mississauga
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Phone bill after Xmas holiday!

Good suggestion MissFitts. I will do that.