We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Immunisations

Bourne, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Immunisations

Travelling to Cayo Levantado in August and confused about whether malaria tablets are recommended or not. Hadn't even considered it until a friend of a friend mentioned it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
40,042 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Immunisations

Firstly check with your GP/Practise Nurse as they know your medical history and secondly check your Travel Insurance small print my insurance clearly states that I am not covered for any claim in the case of my failure to obtain any recommended vaccines, inocculations or medications prior to my trip. So I would look into your travel insurance.

Angie.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
125 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Immunisations

I have been to three different areas of the Dominican Republic and am heading there again on Saturday for El Portillo. I have yet to see a mosquito let alone get bitten by one in any of the resorts I've stayed on. I did, however, get Twinrix from my doctor 4 years ago, it's good for 5 years to protect against Hepatitis so I'm good for another year.

Trenton, Canada
Level Contributor
768 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Immunisations

Yes there are mosquitos.. I got bitten when I was just there...

But, certainly not worried about malaria.

Charlene

Bourne, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Immunisations

Thanks for your responses. We have the usual immunisations inc Hep B. was a bit surprised when they mentioned malaria.

Will also check travel insurance when we sort it Angelina, thanks for that tip.

england
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Immunisations

We buy over the counter tablets from Boots on the recommendation of our GP to comply with our medical insurance. I should say that we do not have any worry at all about malaria. However as Angelina says, we need it to comply with our medical insurance and if we had another unrelated problem whilst away I would be concerned that they would withold payment if we had not complied fully with the small print.

Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Immunisations

kibongi I'd say better safe than sorry. my GP in the UK recommends the usual jabs of hep a, hep b and typhoid and maleria tablets. check with your GP which type as there are a few and I have been told I need to take some that are different in price and dosage etc from when I went to Gambia a few years ago. we are going in august also. he asked if we would be doing lots of trecking etc or camping to identify if any risk of rabies but there isn't. hope that helps.

7. Re: Immunisations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2014, 06:17