We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Plata - Cayo Levantado (Taxi or Coach)

Morecambe, United...
Level Contributor
270 posts
349 reviews
Save Topic
Puerto Plata - Cayo Levantado (Taxi or Coach)

Hi,

I have booked a taxi from Puerto Plata to Cayo Levantado with Thompsons at a cost of £157 return. I could have booked the coach at a cost of £0.

My Hubby is now questionning whether the taxi is worth it.

I have heard that the coach can take anything from 3-5 hours including a loo stop. Is the taxi the same length of time. Would you say the taxi is comfier? Has anybody done it via taxi from Puerto Plata. What do you guys think.

Thanks in advance

Jax

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,813 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Plata - Cayo Levantado (Taxi or Coach)

The Taxi takes the same road as the bus. Just less people to wait for to load and unload. Taxi gives you freedom of choice of when/where to stop. 157 return is a good price compared to posted airport taxi rates.

england
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Plata - Cayo Levantado (Taxi or Coach)

YOu may be able to hook with another couple in resort, as we did last trip - to share the taxi journey back - if you are allocated a people carrier as we were, then four people can travel in air con comfort.

I think that the transfer as advertised is not as it is in actual fact with many customers noting that the time taken to actually reach the hotel can be a long as 4 hours.

You will have seen posted that some customers have booked a flight back from Cayo to POP at a cost of about $100/125 each.

With a taxi as mentioned, and you seem to have got a good price for the transfer, you will be able to stop where you want to but I would ensure that you have water/beer snacks comfort break before leaving the airport. You travel through some quite remote locations.

There will be lots of photo opportunities on the trip

england
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Plata - Cayo Levantado (Taxi or Coach)

Sorry Jacquie forgot to mention, although you may have picked up on it from a previous review, try to ensure that the taxi gets you to the dock at Cayo 5-10 mins before the boat transfer, the timetable is posted in top right hand corner of these forum.

Or you could email the hotel asking what the ferry time table is around the time you are due to arrive, if you are using a taxi from Terrytoursamana he and his staff know the times of the ferries.

A lot of people going to Cayo think that this is an on demand service but I can think of nothing more frustrating after a long journey to be stuck at the dock on the mainland until the next ferry arrives - not sure what time you land but it is just something to bear in mind, as there is nothing around the ferry station on the mainland.

Surrey
Level Contributor
3 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Plata - Cayo Levantado (Taxi or Coach)

Hi

We have booked a taxi as well but the cost is now £233 we are going in November so would be interested how you get on with the taxi service.

Regards

Simon

Bedford
Destination Expert
for Samana Province
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Plata - Cayo Levantado (Taxi or Coach)

We have done Taxi (booked shuttle but it turned into a taxi just for us) and a coach. Absolutely no difference in time taken . I would save the money and stick with the coach.

Santa Barbara de...
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Plata - Cayo Levantado (Taxi or Coach)

£233. Wow, what does that compute to in USD? Isn't that like $349 USD?

Tour Samana With Terry

Cardiff
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Plata - Cayo Levantado (Taxi or Coach)

The coach journey is very long after a 9 hour flight from UK..........it can be comfortable if you get a newer coach......but also be aware that some of your fellow travellers can/will get travel sick in coaches which doesn't help with the "atmosphere"!!!

HOWEVER, we talked to a couple of fellow Brits whilst at Cayo Levantado who had paid for the private transfer and definitely didn't think it was worth it because a) 4 of them and their luggage had been shoehorned into a relatively small vehicle and b) with toilet break it had taken them well over 3 hours anyway.

As to timing your arrival at the dock for the ferry you take pot luck -there were ~ 20+ of us on the coach when we went this April -still had to wait ~ 40 minutes for the ferry.

Edited: 16 July 2013, 07:21
england
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerto Plata - Cayo Levantado (Taxi or Coach)

I honestly think that Thomson are missing the point here - in marketing terms it is easy to sell a repeat booking and Cayo does enjoy a high number of repeat visitors - so there is little marketing cost to thomson to those guests. However so many look at ways to 'get over' this transfer or dont consider returning because of it. Perhaps Thomsom could offer a 'night at POP' or internal flight transfers to customers inbound and home or just get the slot back....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Puerto Plata - Cayo Levantado (Taxi or Coach)

I don't understand this "getting slot back". There is zero chance they lost a slot. Someone told you a bunch of nonsense. There are only a couple of flights into that airport in an entire day!! Obviously the airline has reasons but it sure isn't because El Catey is too busy. It's about money guaranteed. Someone mentioned about seeing cargo being loaded. That's your answer. They are picking up some kind of produce to take to the UK right now. Likely a short term contract with some crop available for this season. Cargo is very lucrative. Much better than passengers. It could well be that El Catey has higher landing fees as well making it more cost effective to land in POP. Buses would be cheap compared to these fees which are in the thousands of dollars.

Quinte West, Canada
Level Contributor
692 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Puerto Plata - Cayo Levantado (Taxi or Coach)

I have to agree with Marg. This losing the slot is a little spin put on by Thompson's. Just google El Catey airport arrivals and departures.

There are basically only a few flights a day. I have flown out 3 years in a row during the day and have never seen more then one commercial plane on the ground for a period of 3 hours or more as we waited.

Steve