We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April 4th-11th Cayo Levantado

Belledune
Level Contributor
267 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
April 4th-11th Cayo Levantado

Hi all

Finally finished Packing, and all ready to leave Tomorrow, for our full day drive to airport.

I will start posting daily from April 4th.

I keep thinking I am forgetting something. hummmm... I do that evrytime we go on vacation :)

Wow I checked our weather network, for Samana, and the weather does not look good at all for almost the whole time we are there, shows rain everyday! Seems like while we are there it shows at least 10+ mm rain...maybe my weather network is messed up...Might not get a tan, but at least we will be there! Here's hoping for better weather once we are there!

Cheers all! I'll be daily posting before you all know it.

england
Level Contributor
3,097 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: April 4th-11th Cayo Levantado

Angie do not worry about the weather, the local forecast is always better than the general Samana region forecast and once on the island you will see what I mean about seeing the storms rolling in on the main land, they just seem to miss the island by. It will rain, of course it will, but short warm showers or heavy storms at night - have a lovely journey look forward to seeing your comments. We still have 50 days to wait lol

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
483 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: April 4th-11th Cayo Levantado

Hi Angie -- You've been waiting so long for this trip. I hope you have a wonderful vacation!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get beautiful weather while you're there. Looking forward to your posts.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
269 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: April 4th-11th Cayo Levantado

Hi Angie,Don't fret, that was the same forecast the first time we went to Cayo Levantado.I like you, was worried.We only had a couple of downpours the whole week,they lasted a couple of minutes each.I don't bother checking the forecast now before we go.This year we had one downpour over night.That was it.Hope you have a wonderful vacation.

Belledune
Level Contributor
267 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: April 4th-11th Cayo Levantado

well we made it.... not very good first impressions though, and I am not a picky picky person at all.

we got to the main land building, and around 10:15 pm, and the guy called for the boat, hummmmm,

20 min later no boat, and then it came and left, to go somewhere else for some reason, we were brought down to the dock, and waited there for the boat for another 30 min, with no place to sit. also not even a water to be offered to us. my parents were really tired,... then we get to the island finally, and our room is so musty smelling, I am not sure if all rooms smell like this, did anyone else have this problem?

we are all tired, and awaiting the morning to view the island. let you know how this all fairs out.

the room is nice and spacious , and the sound of the waves right now, I am on the patio, and they are putting me to sleep!

cheers all

england
Level Contributor
3,097 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: April 4th-11th Cayo Levantado

HI Angie - I thought that you have posted about the ferry schedule - I guess you caught the 10.45 boat ride - but usually the tour operator lays on a special boat if their guests are arriving outside that time. Did you book independently perhaps?

I am sure that when you wake up all will be well, I must admit I often get, what I call the first day holiday blues, which I am sure is brought about by a long journey the day before amd a lack of sleep.

Regarding the smell in your room, this is a tropical island if your rooms had been shut up all day then they may just need a 'bit of an airing' today. Hope that the sun shines for you all and that your parents enjoy this special holiday.

What grade of room did you book and what are you actually in by the way?

Get a couple of glasses of mimosa for your breakfast and enjoy...

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
68 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: April 4th-11th Cayo Levantado

Hi Angie,

So how is the weather so far?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
483 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: April 4th-11th Cayo Levantado

Hi Angie -- Sorry to hear that you got off to a bad start. To tell you the truth, we did too. However, after a day or so, things really picked up and we ended up having a good time. We had to wait over 30 minutes for the ferry over. We had multiple problems when we arrived to our room. Once you have had a good night's sleep and have a full day to just sit back and enjoy, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. Try the pina coladas,...they're especially delicious at the lobby bar! Have a great day!!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: April 4th-11th Cayo Levantado

Musty smell is common everywhere down there. It's the smell of the tropics. I personally love it.

Belledune
Level Contributor
267 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: April 4th-11th Cayo Levantado

hi all,

It rained very hard last night, but woke up to a beautiful sunny day.

as far as the boat shuttle, I think they had problems with the boat from what I understand, so that might explain the extra long wait, we were told from the air Canada rep, the boat would be there waiting for us, even though it was not a scheduled one.

Bed was so damp last night, but we do understand the humidity level is very high here, like all tropics.

We are in Villa 15., see a little ocean but not much. Too bad none of our requests were met, we had asked for top floor, and the other side of the island, 2 to 6. also corner room. but as the saying goes You can't always get what you want....lol.... main thing is we are here! My parents are in the same Villa 15 next room over, I seen them this morning, and after being rested, they are happy! I think that was my main concern last night, with the few hiccups we had at the beginning, was how they were feeling. Oh yeah, Dad's first time flying, and he loved it....ok Breakfast time, I will post later, any questions I will try to answer, or find the answer for you.

cheers all!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
483 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: April 4th-11th Cayo Levantado

We were in Villa 15 as well, 2nd floor, room directly across from the stairs. Good location; close to the beach/beach pool and jacuzzi pool.