We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
London, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
dollars

i not going for a few months but try to get things in order

where do you buy your dollars from

tesco 149

po ferry 149

post office 149

where do you get the best rate thanks all

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: dollars

I'll let others tell you the best place to buy dollars.

Travelling to the D.R. you will need $10 USD to enter and $20 USD each to leave. For your shopping needs you can easily change BPS to Pesos at a bank or money store or using an ATM. Pesos will buy you anything you need. Airport taxis are priced in dollars but will take Pesos of course. Taxis and resorts take dollars but when you go off resort much less so. Your best price off-resort will be in Pesos.

Bedford
Destination Expert
for Samana Province
Level Contributor
4,623 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dollars

Jimbo, I don't know the current rate, but I always go round a couple of shops, Ist Choice, Co-op Travel and my bank Natwest, then go to Thomas Cook and they will always either better or at least meet the best of the others. I probably save about 50p overall but it makes me happy, though it drives MrF nuts. M&S could possibly be better than T Cook but no exchange in our local one.

Weymouth,Dorset
Level Contributor
165 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dollars

I have found that the Post office is hard to beat,

Total agreemnet with RV429, you will need to have dollars for your entry & departure,

if you are not going to venture away from the resort you will not need Pesos at all.

But if you are going to venture out and see the REAL Dominic (and I recomend that you do) you can pick up Pesos at any of the ATM machines in either Samana Town or Les Terrenas, failing that the desk at your resort will change for you but the rate will not be in your favour

Hope this is of some help

Calmac

england
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dollars

CalMac is bang on as is MissFits as usual one thing I would say is that the only place where I can actually specify the denominations I need is with the post office, give them 7 - 10 days notice just picked up singles all brand new 5's 10's and some 20's cos it is essential to have the correct money for taxes as they dont always have change lol....

Once we decide exactly what we want to do can change English into pesos or get some out at an ATM a little goes a long way in real DR.

London, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dollars

the best i have at the moment is 160 to the pound

Bedford
Destination Expert
for Samana Province
Level Contributor
4,623 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dollars

Who is that with, Jimbo? Sounds good.

London, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dollars

thats with a friend who works in the city

Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: dollars

the ice exchange rate is always good. especially in London. ice Waterloo. Google for details.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,997 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dollars

Thomas Exchange Global is another good one on Victoria Street - no commission.

http://www.thomasexchangeglobal.co.uk/

10. Re: dollars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 07:19