We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local experts - beach advice

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Local experts - beach advice

I'll be staying at CL this October. I definitely want to get off the island at least once and see some more of the area. I'd like to visit another beach as well. I'm a non swimmer and require calm water. I'd like to know which beach is better for calm water, La Playita or Rincon? Do both have beach restaurants with reasonably priced fish/seafood?

Santa Barbara de...
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local experts - beach advice

La Playita is much quicker to get to, about 20 min from CL. The beach is smaller but is well maintained generally. The sea floor is coral and you have to follow a path through the coral out to the "pool" for deeper swimming. You have the same view as Rincon in the distance. There are modern facilities here. All seafood is available and is cheaper than Rincon. You are botthered much less by vendors at Playita.

Rincon is much more wide open and much bigger but much more isolated. The coral is more vibrant, and snorkeling is better, but it's on the non-calm side and you should take flotation or be a great swimmer to enjoy. Rincon is about an hour away from CL and the roads are not very good. There is a calm side to Rincon where the swimming is great. At Rincon there are a couple food options, rustic dining but very cool, that will cost you a minimum of $10 for fish and seafood but the selections are generally a little bit fresher.

Tour Samana With Terry

Lindsay, Canada
Level Contributor
476 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local experts - beach advice

Hi Marg - we have taken a couple of tours with Terry to both beaches which are truly beautiful, be sure to take your camera. Perhaps you could do a stop at both???? Lunch at Rincon was very tasty and fresh.

One tour we took a boat from CL to the beaches and the second we took ATV's (I cannot remember the beach we had lunch this second time). The drive through the countryside is amazing and well worth the time.

We snorkeled at both the beaches and have to agree that Rincon was much nicer - lots of options for you :)

Deb

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local experts - beach advice

Thanks for replies. Ideally I'd like to see both beaches. Not interested in spending loads of time just laying on a beach. I can do that at the hotel. I would however like to see the countryside along with some beaches and delicious seafood lunch that Samana is famous for. I don't swim or snorkel but definitely want to get into the water to cool off. Not into ATV's so it has to be somewhere by car/van. What I need is a custom tour or arrange a taxi driver for a day.

Las Galeras...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Local experts - beach advice

If you are not a confident swimmer, you should be careful at Rincon as there is often a small rip current. IMO Playita is a better area for swimming and, if you know where to look, there is a beautiful coral reef that can very easily be snorkelled. The sea food on Playita from Isabel's 'comedor' right on the beach is really good value and tastes great too!

5. Re: Local experts - beach advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 07:18