We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CL Today!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
CL Today!

Well that's it the alarm has gone off and it's time for brekky and check-in at gatwick, today we go back to cayo! It's not under great circumstances, my grandmother passed away last Thursday and her funeral is today. We were a phone call away from cancelling but the death certificate showed an existing condition as the cause so insurance wouldn't cover. My mother eventually got me talked round to going as my grandma wouldn't want me to miss a holiday we have saved a year for but it's not going to be an easy day and probably the worst start to a holiday I've ever had.

So here's to a pleasant flight and a very relaxing two weeks, we need it!

So if anyone has any last minute suggestions for in the airport or whatever please put them up il will be checking on here until 1100 GMT.

Thanks to all for advice over the last few months and I will try to check in during our stay.

Cheers,

Neil

england
Level Contributor
3,037 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CL Today!

So sorry to hear your news but I am sure that your gran would have wanted you to go an enjoy your holiday together, one thing I would say is that Cayo is a lovely place to sit quietly and raise a glass to a special person in your life especially if you are with your significant other.

Hope you enjoy the Gatwick experience, one of the naughty things that we did was buy some three for the price of two minatures for on the plane, cos we were in steerage this year. Hope you are in premium and can sit back and enjoy the full pleasures of that level of comfort and service but if not you can make up for it when you land.

My advice if you are flying into El Catay is to let one of the volunteer porters take you luggage as there is the element of handling your own luggage onto the scanning belt and he will run your cases to the bus and take the trolley back into the airport, and all you need to do is give him a couple of dollars. They dont do it for a charity but they dont get paid by the airport - hence the volunteer shirts that they wear. Also pick up duplicate imigration paperwork both the forms the blue slim one and the larger white one just in case you dont want to go to the welcome meeting, you will need them when you exit the island also.

It is only an hour ride from El Catay which I am sure you know so some water or a cold presidente or two wont go amiss. When you get dockside there is water in a fridge in the little welcome hut.

When you get to the island you will have a little chat from the management team then the choice is yours wait for a buggy to take you to your villa, but a lot of them are engaged in delivering your luggage, unless you are booked into the main hotel or walk around to your allotted piece of heaven, check the map carefully and take the lift from the main lobby up to floor two and exit at the end of the corridor you will find yourself next to the spa and onthe upper level of the hotel easier to get to many of the villas from that level and no stairs to climb.

Dont forget your holiday started yesterday when you left home, enjoy.....

Edited: 12 September 2013, 07:49
Sheffield
Level Contributor
453 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CL Today!

I'm so sorry about your Grandma : (

I care for my Grandma at home and she's quite poorly so we don't know how long she has left....I have to admit it did cross my mind about what we'd do if she passed away when our holiday rolls around (I wouldn't put it past her lol!) but your Mum was right, she probably would have wanted you to go so as VHT says, make time to raise a toast in her memory : )

So jealous, still aaaaaages to go for us! I hope you have a wonderful holiday and look forward to hearing all about it!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CL Today!

Very sorry to hear about your loss but your mom was smart to get you to go. Hope you have a fantastic stay.

Bedford
Destination Expert
for Samana Province
Level Contributor
4,588 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CL Today!

Speaking as a granny myself, I am sure you did the right thing and I would certainly want my grandchildren to do the same.

I hope you have a restful time at CL.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CL Today!

Well we're here!

Flight was fine and uneventful, which is to say just as I like it!

Bus journey from El Catay was like a Grand Prix! Some ill looking folk on the bus but we got to the dock eventually.

We just got on the boat and it started to pour from the heavens! Lucky me chose a seat at the side of the boat and got soaked but it still couldn't wash the smile off my face, back to paradise at last! Plus as a bonus I'm the first on this trip to have a swim.

We have been upgraded from junior suite to a villa in the same building we were in last time (6), came in the room to find some rum and resort t-shirts! Will definitely be looking Alexis out to thank him greatly, a very nice surprise.

Bit knackered now so we are doing as we done last time, room service then bed. Up and refreshed for the first day of what will be a very relaxing fortnight!

On a side note, spoke to me mam and the funeral went very well.

Cheers,

Neil

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CL Today!

Very glad to hear you had a safe journey. Hope you pop by when you are refreshed.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: CL Today!

Hi all,

Well what a fantastic day of sunshine yesterday, only a few clouds and very warm. Goes to show you can just about throw the forecast out of the window when your in a tropical climate!

We were summoned to reception after a nice breakfast (smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for me, omelette for OH) and it turns out we are paying for the upgrade. Now, in principle this is obvious and I don't mind paying to upgrade. However, they put us in the upgraded room on arrival and we never for the chance to see the room we had originally payed for before deciding if we actually wanted to upgrade. Never mind the room is beautiful and the upgrade to a JS superior from a JS was $280 for the fortnight so not bad.

Spent the whole day at the quiet pool, it was exactly what we needed. Like I said, a full day of sun so plenty of swimming, some sunbathing, even more snoozing under shade and a few drinks. Perfect.

We had lunch in the main buffet and the seafood broth was amazing. The fresh cooked meats and rice my OH had were also good.

We also had dinner in the buffet and it was Dominican night. Selection of food was just ok but the creole conch was amazing, if you enjoy seafood you must try this if your coming here.

By 9pm we were out on our feet so an early night was again in order. Recharging the batteries is the aim of this holiday and these first few days we are sleeping and rest as much as possible, maybe a bit more lively later in the week!

Cheers,

Neil

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: CL Today!

Hi all,

Well what a fantastic day of sunshine yesterday, only a few clouds and very warm. Goes to show you can just about throw the forecast out of the window when your in a tropical climate!

We were summoned to reception after a nice breakfast (smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for me, omelette for OH) and it turns out we are paying for the upgrade. Now, in principle this is obvious and I don't mind paying to upgrade. However, they put us in the upgraded room on arrival and we were never given the chance to see the room we had originally payed for before deciding if we actually wanted to upgrade. We had exchanged emails with the hotel but nothing was set, something to watch for. Never mind the room is beautiful and the upgrade to a JS superior from a JS was $280 for the fortnight so not bad.

Spent the whole day at the quiet pool, it was exactly what we needed. Like I said, a full day of sun so plenty of swimming, some sunbathing, even more snoozing under shade and a few drinks. Perfect.

We had lunch in the main buffet and the seafood broth was amazing. The fresh cooked meats and rice my OH had were also good.

We also had dinner in the buffet and it was Dominican night. Selection of food was just ok but the creole conch was amazing, if you enjoy seafood you must try this if your coming here.

By 9pm we were out on our feet so an early night was again in order. Recharging the batteries is the aim of this holiday and these first few days we are sleeping and resting as much as possible, maybe a bit more lively later in the week!

Cheers,

Neil

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: CL Today!

Apologies for the double post. Didn't think the first one had sent and made some corrections/additions on the second one.

Neil

england
Level Contributor
3,037 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: CL Today!

Neil so glad that you are having a great holiday and that the weather has improved for Anne as well as yourselves, some others have recently posted on forum pages that the weather forecast is causing them concern and I am sure that you comments will reassure them.

I must admit I am sorry to see that the thorny issue of toilet tissue has appeared again on the review pages, why are some guests being told that they cant flush and others not seems strange especially as Samana has one of the most modern sewerage systems in DR and any hotel that does not allow flushing should be supplying lidded bins for disposal purposes.

I am sure that some tour reps just think that when you are abroad this is what you have to do .... lol well by my reconning you should be getting over your jet lag by tomorrow morning and settling into a lovely lazy routine, hope you are having fun and look forward to your posts double or otherwise.

PS its raining in Lincolnshire today ...... if you are interested

Edited: 14 September 2013, 13:02