We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whale watching at Luxury Bahia Principe

Kitchener
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
whale watching at Luxury Bahia Principe

We are planning on going to Luxury Bahia Principe in January. Just wondering if we will need to do a whale watching tour or if you can see the whales from the resort. If anyone has taken the tour please give me some info about it. In your opinion is doing a room upgrade worth the money?

We are thinking of doing the upgrade to a junior deluxe suite. Thanks in advance.

Bowmanville, Canada
Level Contributor
751 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: whale watching at Luxury Bahia Principe

When in January are you going? We were there last year on Jan 15 I believe the day whale watching season started.

We did take an excursion through Terry..amazing tour.. we stayed out until we had sightings of whales. This was an excursion to remember.

In January there aren't many Whales so its not easy to see them from the resort. Some people said they did see them.. but, not what you would see if you were out on a boat

Enjoy

Charlene

Cardiff
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: whale watching at Luxury Bahia Principe

I suspect that you would be able to see the whales from some of the upper floor balconies of the junior superior suites in blocks 4 to 7 early in the morning -I certainly saw dolphins a couple of times in May.

When we went before in February we saw whales early in the morning from the windy beach - but at quite a long range and difficult to keep them in focus with the binos. A trip out to see them is deffo the best -but don't forget your seasickness medication if you haven't got a strong stomach - it can get quite rough out in the Bay!!

Bedford
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: whale watching at Luxury Bahia Principe

When we asked Alexis last year about good rooms for whale watching, he recommended 3-5, upper floors. But this year when we did the round the island boat trip, the guide told us that the rooms on the opposite side were best, 10 -12 and thereabouts., so who knows? We need more peope like Dave who has actually spotted whales to tell us which rooms are good for it.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
239 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: whale watching at Luxury Bahia Principe

We are here at CL right now in Villa #11. It has a FAB view from our second floor room/balcony of the mainland, two resorts, an island, and passing cruise ships. Yesterday we took the free boat tour around the island at 2:45 p.m. (not 9 a.m. as I had read here earlier). From what the guide said as we were passing the small island which we can see from our room, villas 10-12 would indeed be perfect for whale watching during the appropriate months.

Kitchener
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: whale watching at Luxury Bahia Principe

Thank you for letting us know. Is there construction going on right now at the resort?

Kitchener
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: whale watching at Luxury Bahia Principe

How long did it take you to get to the resort from the airport

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
239 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: whale watching at Luxury Bahia Principe

Hi Connie. Yes, there is construction going on. We have driven by and heard it. As well, I was talking to someone who said the people who have rooms near it were upset and asked to be moved. I really don't know that end of the resort as we do want to avoid such hassle. Sorry I don't know more. We are in the area from villas 4-12 which are thankfully away from it.

We had a private van from the Samana airport and it took a whole hour in the dark....

8. Re: whale watching at Luxury Bahia Principe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2014, 05:17