We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Santo Domingo Airport to Cayo Levantado.

Pompton Lakes, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Santo Domingo Airport to Cayo Levantado.

I am trying to find out information how to get from SD airport to Cayo Levantado. We are flying in from Orlando Florida and they don't fly into Samana. So decided to go into Santo Domingo. I have read in other older post you can take a bus that will take us to Samana then from there take boat to Cayo Levantado. A taxi is $200.00 per person one way from the airport to Samana and we don't want to rent a car. Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Cayo Levantado
Cayo Levantado
Dominican Republic
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Jackson, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Santo Domingo Airport to Cayo Levantado.

Very easy to take a bus IF you land in the daytime. Just grab a Taxi to the Caribe tours stop (an actual Bus shell) at the entrance to the Samana Toll Road. They sell the ticket there at 320 RD pp. Upon your return just get off at the same stop and taxi back to SDQ. Last bus departs at 5 p.m. Stops once at Sanchez and then to Samana.

caribetours.com.do/index.php/…get_travel

For the Ferry schedule check with the resort.

Edited: 03 March 2014, 20:06
Mentioned in this post
Sanchez
Sanchez
Dominican Republic
Jackson, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Santo Domingo Airport to Cayo Levantado.

Even better for the Ferry schedule check the Top Question at the top right of your screen. And be sure to read the FAQ A Guide to ......................Samana.

england
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Santo Domingo Airport to Cayo Levantado.

RAV is correct the ferry is not on on demand service and if you think that you might miss the last ferry to the island which is around 10.30 - 10.45 then plan to overnight somewhere.

Maryland USA
Level Contributor
66 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Santo Domingo Airport to Cayo Levantado.

We flew in to Santo Domingo last week from Atlanta on Delta. Very easy to go through customs. Buy online and pay for your tourist card/pass online and print and bring with which is $10 a person. Buy in advance will save you time.

We made transport reservations through the hotel. They employ someone to hold a sign with your name as you exit into the arrivals terminal who directs you outside and carries your luggage to a van with an awaiting driver. Obviously he was subcontracted but very efficient and quick. Van had AC and we enjoyed looking at the rice fields on the way. He also stopped when asked so we could get a drink.

Either contact the hotel or you can use this e-mail address to inquire. Cost round trip might have been $150 - $200 each I cannot remember exactly. Let me know if you have any more questions I am here now.

Reservations BPUSA <reservationsbpusa@bahia-principe.com>

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
nyc
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Santo Domingo Airport to Cayo Levantado.

Taxi cost is $300 ballpark up to 5 people. Thats each way. The rate is not per person. You can get a taxi from the airport. Rates are posted. You could get a minivan at the taxi stand as well.

The bus is a cheaper alternative, but involves a taxi to get to the bus, and a taxi when you get off the bus at samana.

If its more than 2 people travelling, a taxi works better for me.

Pompton Lakes, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Santo Domingo Airport to Cayo Levantado.

Thank you for you info. Will check out the ferry schedule.

Pompton Lakes, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Santo Domingo Airport to Cayo Levantado.

It is just 2 of us what I am worried is that we arrive at 3:00pm and probably by the time we get out of airport it will be around 4 - 4:30pm to the bus. Worried we may miss the ferry. What is the last ferry to get to the Cayo Levantado?

Mentioned in this post
Cayo Levantado
Cayo Levantado
Dominican Republic
Pompton Lakes, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Santo Domingo Airport to Cayo Levantado.

So the last Ferry is around 10 PM ? Then we should have a lot of time to get there. Thanks for your help.

Jackson, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from Santo Domingo Airport to Cayo Levantado.

If your flight arrives at 3 p.m. you will have plenty of time to get to the last bus at 5 p.m. and get to the Ferry in time. You have some time to spare as the bus ride is only about 2.5-3 hours with one stop in Sanchez to drop/pickup.

Mentioned in this post
Sanchez
Sanchez
Dominican Republic
Pompton Lakes, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel from Santo Domingo Airport to Cayo Levantado.

Thanks for all your information. I feel a little at ease now about arriving at the ferry. Do you know if the bus takes us right to the ferry or does it take us somewhere else and we need to take a taxi to the ferry ?