We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach vendors

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
302 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
beach vendors

Hi. We are considering a trip to Grenada perhaps this fall and were wondering if there are a lot of vendors bothering you on Grand Anse Beach. Thank you for all replys.

Hatfield...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beach vendors

I confess that it always rankles me a bit when someone asks if there are a lot of vendors "bothering" you on a given beach.

Yes, there are vendors on the beach on Grand Anse. If their very presence is a bother, I'd recommend choosing another island entirely. Possibly only exclusive private islands.

If by bothersome you mean persistent or in your face, the answer is "generally not." I've found vendors in general to be very pleasant and great sources of information. Again, in general, if you don't want to buy a particular product, a polite "no, thank you" is sufficient. Don't agree to look at the wares unless you're serious about purchasing anything. Don't say you'll think about it if you don't want that vendor to come back. And definitely don't say that you'll buy it later in your visit if you have no intention of coming back that place.

Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: beach vendors

What are the beach vendors usually selling?

Hatfield...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beach vendors

cherimt, wares can vary, of course, but in Grenada I encountered vendors selling mostly spices, spice necklaces, jewelry made from beads and/or shells, occasionally pottery, small wooden sculptures or artwork.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
800 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beach vendors

Were in Grenada last June and the only negative thing I can say is the problem with the beach vendors. After a long flight and wanting to get to the beach they were all over us like flies on doo doo. I was very ticked and some did not take a simple no thank you. I was very disappointed in my choice of island at first. They hounded us even when we entered the water to escape. Finally, after we had been there for several days their contact with us became less. I did buy two of the spice necklaces that I was told would not lose its fragrance and if it did boil in hot water to refresh. The smell lasted about a month and boiling it did not help once the necklace dried. I also bought a basket made of palm fronds which was very nice. Don't let the beach vendors keep you from visiting Grenada. The people around town (restaurants, stores, hotels) very friendly and the island scenery is absolutely stunning.

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
302 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beach vendors

kribbean: Thank you for answering my question. We have been on trips where the vendors actually would sit on the end of our loungers and that is truly not a good thing on vacation. I thank you too for not bawling me out like another poster did. It is an honest question.

6. Re: beach vendors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 17:17