We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gifts for locals

Antarctica
Level Contributor
467 posts
225 reviews
Save Topic
gifts for locals

Hi, we always bring gifts (i.e. necessities not candy) when we visit relatively poor countries. These gifts are especially appreciated in places like Cuba. Does anybody know if they would also be appreciated in Grenada? If so, what items are most needed? Thanks.

sunny glasgow
Level Contributor
309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gifts for locals

That's such a good question,I am going to Grenada for the first time in January.When travelling further afield I usually take decent clothes that our youngest son has grown out of as well as pens and pencils,some safe kids toys and some ladies toiletries to give away when travelling to places where it is harder for the locals to get these things,but I don't know what is particularly hard for the locals to get hold off.

It would be good to take the most usefull stuff.

Antarctica
Level Contributor
467 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gifts for locals

The items you list are good examples of things that we also bring along. We've found that clothes in good condition and toiletries are often appreciated and, at times, are worth more to employees of the resort as well than a couple of dollars. Still not sure though what Grenadians need.

sunny glasgow
Level Contributor
309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gifts for locals

Hi, I was really hoping as well that some one who has already been would pass along some tips.

I did read the official stats that 45% of the households are run by single mums, and the older kids have to pay a hire charge for their school books.

If I don't get any further advice I will do a quick rummage for some secondary (high) school level books.

Crozet, VA
Level Contributor
629 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gifts for locals

We are in Grenada now; visited the national library today, and they definitely could use some books -fiction, mystery, children's and reference. We will leave the books we have read while here with them as we usually leave them in the hotel. We have a large groupof about 35 coming in January, and I am going to ask everyone to bring a least one book as we are already bringing schools supplies for the kids.

sunny glasgow
Level Contributor
309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gifts for locals

I know this is not my thread but thanks so much Sandra, we have some extra baggage allowance so I will bring what I can in January.

London,UK
Level Contributor
163 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gifts for locals

if you go to this website you will find answers to your questions.

http://grenadatravelforum.com or search in Google.

sunny glasgow
Level Contributor
309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gifts for locals

Thanks, i've had a quick peek and added this site to my favourites pronto.

Antarctica
Level Contributor
467 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: gifts for locals

Thanks to everyone for posting. Great website UKbaby. It's every interested person's thread, dippyem. Thanks for your input. It's nice to see that there are people out there who take an active interest in the countries that they visit.

Herndon, VA
Level Contributor
731 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: gifts for locals

Great question.

Ever since 2004 when Ivan devastated Grenada, we have been in contact with a single mom there and help where we can. She mostly requests clothes and basic school supplies for her son. Remember that it's warm year round so light weight clothes are best.

Ed

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. George's
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: gifts for locals

Here's my take... if it is our first visit and I don't know the people personally, I do not want to assume that they necessarily need the necessities because that sort of paints an assumption that they cannot afford to buy them. People do have some pride and I personally would not want to offend someone. So...we usually take something that is representative of our home state and we give it as a gift, just like we would give friends a gift. Once we get to know them, then that would be when we would ask if there is anything that we could bring them.

I am here in Grenada now, and I asked a Grenadian friend this question and she said that it would be a bit offensive if a guest brought things like stockings, toothpaste, used clothes, etc.

My personal interactions with hotel staff is they are not poor, certainly not wealthy, but normal working people just like me. They are able to send their kids to college (some even in the US and Canada), dress in good clothes, etc.

With that said, of course there are less fortunate people in Grenada that could use necessities. I say for that, best to get in touch with a local charitable organization who can reach out and distribute it directly to those who need it. Do not assume that your housekeeper is one of those folks.

Children's books, are always good to bring, because they don't have the same variety as we would back in our home countries.

Just my opinion...

Get answers to your questions about Grenada