We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you ever get hassled in Grenada

vancouver
Level Contributor
318 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Do you ever get hassled in Grenada

In some countries if you're quietly lying on the beach you can get endlessly pestered by people trying to sell you thinngs who won't go away.

Is there any of that in Genada?

Apparently there is a lot of poverty/shanty towns, if we go wandering around the island, find a quiet beach away from the resort grounds etc. could there be many people asking for moneym telling to sell us things, asking for payment as the beach is 'private' etc.

Thanks

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you ever get hassled in Grenada

Most of the vendors are on Grand Anse beach and very few at Morne Rouge beach. We've always gone in low season, so have not really been approached much. I would say when the cruise ships are in and during high season, that is when most of the vendors will be out. We did not find the ones we met pushy at all, a simple No thank you, and they left us alone. They were very nice and some would chat for a bit just to see how you like the island and how you are enjoying your vacation.

The only persistent person we encountered was a blind guy, who definitely gave you the guilt trip to the 100th degree if you did not give him a few bucks.

Poverty and shanty towns...hmmm...maybe I just haven't gone around the island much. When we have driven around we did not see the shanty towns. Certainly they are simpler houses compared to houses where I live, and sometimes they may look like they stopped in the middle of building, but that is no indication that the people are living in poverty. Building materials can be hard to come by especially as some are still recovering from hurricane Ivan.

No one swarmed us begging for money. No one has stopped us asking for payment for use of the beach. Been to the island 3 times.

Having said that, I know it can get annoying when you are trying to have some peace and quiet on the beach and vendors are coming up to you constantly. Keep in mind that they are at least trying to make an honest living.

La Sagesse is a nice beach to get some quiet time. It's out of the way enough that I don't think you will see vendors there.

vancouver
Level Contributor
318 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you ever get hassled in Grenada

Hi thanks for your reply.

We're thinking of going over Christmas time, something like Dec 20th to 27th. Would that be a quiet or busy time?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you ever get hassled in Grenada

Oh...that will be a busy, busy time as it is the high season. That could be a good thing in some aspects. Yes, there will likely be more vendors out, but also more other tourists to try and sell their stuff.

Bishops Stortford...
Level Contributor
178 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you ever get hassled in Grenada

Please don't worry! Grenada is a safe Caribbean Island with friendly locals.

The beach vendors can be an enjoyable way to meet the lovely islanders and a great way to buy some bargain souvenirs without leaving the Beach!

I have travelled all over the Island and have never seen a shanty town - on other Islands there are much higher crime rates but you really don't need to be worried about Grenada!

5. Re: Do you ever get hassled in Grenada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 23:17