We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile phones

Cornwall, England
Level Contributor
215 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile phones

Hi

Twice I have emailed 'Digicell Customer Services' in Grenada, each time without getting a reply, so I hope a trip advisor member can help.

The question is:-

We are planning to stay in Grenada for January & February 2010 and we would like to know if we can buy a sim card with credits so that we can use our U.K. 'pay as you go' mobile phone whilst in Grenada and Carriacou.

Please can you advise the best and cheapest way for us to use a mobile phone whilst there?.

Regards

gbysea

London,UK
Level Contributor
168 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile phones

Yes, you can purchase a Sim card from Digicel,can't remember the exact price i paid last year but, it was no more than $50EC which included about $10EC talk time, you can then top this us more if you wish.

You need to make sure that the phone you are using is unlocked,ID is required, i just showed my passport.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile phones

Yes, be sure your phone is unlocked. Not sure what band you use in the U.K., but Digicel uses 900/1800 MHZ so your phone needs to be able to function on those bands. Else there is Lime (formerly Cable & Wireless) and they function on 850 MHZ.

And in case anyone else is interested and they are in the Grand Anse area, there is a Digicel at the Le Marquis Shopping Centre, and Lime is at the Excel Plaza shopping centre.

Grenada
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile phones

If your phone is quad band it works with any provider in the world.

These are our frequencies

LIME Grenada Ltd.

Network Name LIME

Technology / Frequency GSM 850

Operator Name Digicel Grenada Ltd.

Network Name Digicel

Technology / Frequency GSM 900/1800

If your phone is tri band it should work also if it is a :

T-Mobile UK

Vodafone (partner with Digicel Grenada)

All you need to do is to top up your pay as you go a/c to last the entire duration of your stay...

or you can always unlock your phone to use any carrier/provider and purchase a sim dow here...so its up to you

Bye

Josh

Cornwall, England
Level Contributor
215 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile phones

Hi Guys

Thanks for your replies, you all have been most helpfull.

Regfards

gbysea

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
688 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile phones

So we have a cell phone here in Canada, but it is locked. If we unlock it, can 1) I assume then we just have to buy this SIM Card to put into our cell phone to use?

2) Otherwise, the other option could be "renting" a pay-as-you-go phone for the 2 wks we are there?

Can anyone please tell me if these 2 options are correct? And if you know which would be cheaper?

(ps: we will need to be able to call local cell phones, not back home).

thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobile phones

What frequency does your cell phone use? If it is capable of any of the 850 / 900 / 1800 MHz frequencies, then it should work with a local SIM card.

Depending on where you are staying, they might have loaner cell phones and you just get a pre-paid card. Check with your hotel.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mobile phones

You could also consider purchasing one of the cheaper phones from a local Grenada supplier. We purchased in Bequia last year and found it to be reasonably cheap and hassle free. You can be sure the phone will work. Bringing one from home sounds good, but what if it doesn't work? And if you buy a cheap phone in Grenada there will no incentive for it to stolen and no great loss if it wrecked. Mine cost $EC149 last year. Pretty cheap.

arizona
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mobile phones

Okay, I know how to use my cell phone but I am clueless about the SIM card and all. Do I need to check with Verizon before I leave home to be able to use my phone to call the States? The local phones talked about by another on this post, do they work to call to the U.S.? I don't even know how to unlock my phone. . . didn't know that it was locked. I'm only used to using it around the U.S. Help please. Thanks.

arizona
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mobile phones

Okay, I know how to use my cell phone but I am clueless about the SIM card and all. Do I need to check with Verizon before I leave home to be able to use my phone to call the States? The local phones talked about by another on this post, do they work to call to the U.S.? I don't even know how to unlock my phone. . . didn't know that it was locked. I'm only used to using it around the U.S. Help please. Thanks.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mobile phones

CathyArizona,

What kind of phone do you have with Verizon? It depends on what kind of phone you have as VzW uses CDMA technology in the U.S. Let me know and I can help you figure it out. I have VzW service and work in the telecom industry.

Get answers to your questions about Grenada
Recent Conversations