We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St.Kitts has been dumped - now WHAT?

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
St.Kitts has been dumped - now WHAT?

So I am trying to come to terms with the news that St.Kitts is no longer offered by Signature Vacations in Canada anymore. Aside from my great disappointment to no be able to easily visit beautiful St.kitts I am now deeply saddened FOR St.Kitts...

And I now have a bit of a dilemma....where the heck do we go...because we are travelling with a newborn baby - we are not keen on connecting flights - that was all fine and well prior to children but not really feasible at this point.

We are considering -

Grenada

Antigua

Negril Jamaica

We are a family of 4 adults and two children....ideally we would like a place with a kitchenette for ease with a baby....but we realize that places in Antigua are almost exclusively AI and we know very little about Negril - convincing my Mother to go to JA may be a stretch as she has been programmed for years to believe that JA is solely a place of violence...I have worked hard to dispel this myth....but we shall see.

We like warm Caribbean places with a authentic feeling and friendly staff. Good food or good restaurants are important but cost is too as funds will be cut with maternity leave. As I have a nervous Mother and a young child and newborn...however, that is part of the reason I chose the aforementioned islands.

We would like a place ON the beach but that includes places like the Flamboyant in Grenada which is ON / OFF the beach....for a reasonable AI we would be happy - but with a reasonable price adn good food if we really wont be leaving the resort for meals.

Thanks for any help but please HELP!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
851 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St.Kitts has been dumped - now WHAT?

What accommodations does Signature Vacations offer on Grenada? I have not been to Antigua or Jamaica-no desire to visit either. I have been to St. Kitts and loved it. Grenada is beautiful. We were blown away with how friendly everyone was that we encountered throughout our trip. The Flamboyant is on Grand Anse, but up some rather steep steps to the rooms.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St.Kitts has been dumped - now WHAT?

Do you have to go with a package tour? There is Antigua Village on Dickenson Bay which has a kitchen. I would consider it on the same category as T.B.R. I believe there are some other newer apartment-type accommodations further down the beach, but I have not seen those.

In Grenada I would suggest LAE Cottages for self-catering accommodations. Nice beach, not the best, but it's great for kids as the bay is calm. The staff are awesome! You can ask your housekeeper to cook local foods for you ... very tasty I might add. I'm headed there on my 6th visit next week. On my trip reports I have a few reviews & photos of LAE Cottages. (I'm mymoosie on Fodor's btw)

If you want to be on Grand Anse, look into Jenny's Place. Looks like they are under new management, the same folks who have been managing one of the better hotels in Carriacou.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St.Kitts has been dumped - now WHAT?

Kribbean - Signature is not offering Grenada - and thank heavens as I am going to try and avoid Signature in teh future!! It is Air Canada that is offering Grenada...they are pretty reliably the ones that do the trip to Gnd...not many other tour companies....so I have to be grateful to Air Canada.

We are thinking that it is goign to be Gnd...we are feeling better about our disappointment - GND is not exactly a second fiddle island - it is (in our memory) a wonderful island with as many fantastic features as St.Kitts...so if it can't be SKB then we will take the extra 1.5 hours via plane (which was one of the only tie breaker aspects of our decision otherwise we would still be shakign our heads) and off to Gnd wait for SKB another year!!

Pigsterz - it does have to be a package for us from here as they moment you step outside the package the flights cost goes up ridiculously...one of the good bad things about living in our area...packages are good but you realize at times like these they are terribly limiting. We have often wanted to explore other options for lodgings in Gnd....not that we don't love Flamboyant - we do!!! But we have heard wonderful things about La Sagesse and LAE....True Blue....but with only one airline doing direct flights and the current need inour lives for ease in flights....we are locked into these packages....

It seems that there are some great options for Flamboyant in GND same time frame - so we hope it will all work out!

Since you are incredibly knowledgeable about Grenada and it has been a long time since we have been there - pre Ivan....can you tell me please - is the grocery store across from Grand Beach the best location to stock up on grocery's? We are going to still try and do the breakfast and lunch deal in our room....maybe even feed our son dinner there before heading out....the last time we were there we found that grocery store somewhat limited...but that was at New Years and could have been a factor.

Thanks for all of your help!!

Pickering, Canada
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St.Kitts has been dumped - now WHAT?

Hi Caribheart:

Sunwing flys to Grenada this winter. We stay at Seaview Apartments, 2 face the ocean and 1 behind. Beautiful sunset view and right on Grand Anse Beach, beside Jenny's. Nice long front yard for your child to run in and it is fenced. Lots of food selection in store at the mall, we use a taxi to get back with our supplies.

Enjoy your vacation.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St.Kitts has been dumped - now WHAT?

Thanks very much for the heads up - I will check out Sunwing right now!

Also thanks about the grocery store at Spiceland we were worried about not being able to find some selection as last time we were there the options were limited but that was a long long time ago and right at New Years!!

Off to check out Sunwing!

Boston...
Level Contributor
89 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St.Kitts has been dumped - now WHAT?

We just returned from Grenada on October 24th - traveled with our two young boys: aged 10 months and 4 years. Getting there is bit of a grind (we are from Boston and stopped in San Juan on the way down, and Miami on the way back) but it was totally and completely worth every ffort - and we were only there for one week. We did a fantastic villa rental on Lance Aux Epines. Two beds with a private pool and gardens. Worked out GREAT for us (daily housekeeper and we hired an AMAZING local nanny to make it a true vacation).

Anyway - I have been to 20+ Caribbean Islands and Grenada is my new favorite. It has a great variety of beaches, like Antigua, but the water is actually warmer and the South of the island easy to navigate and there is very very little crime (people don't often lock their homes or cars - the opposite of some other islands and violent attacks are practically unheard of). Never had friendlier locals - everyone stopped us to say hello and thanks for coming.

Highly HIGHLY recommended - especially with little ones. Supermarkets are well stocked with baby items and fresh produce and local fish and chicken are plentiful. Happy to provide contact for our babysitter or villa or any additional advice you may need. One other Grenada plug is that they truly need your toursit dollars - they are still recovering economically from the devastation of Ivan - though the lush greenery and sandy beaches have returned. Locals didn't have insurance and need to save $$$ to rebuild their homes - but everyone is enterprising and in good spirits - it just felt good to feel wanted and a part of things.

We have also had good kids vacations on Anguilla, French St Martin (2x), and Puerto Rico.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St.Kitts has been dumped - now WHAT?

Thanks very much Elsiedog....I hope you are doing ok adjusting back to non Caribbean life - I know how hard it can be!!

Great to know the stores are stocked well esp. with baby stuff - we are going to try and bring a lot of items but diapers might be a bit overwhelming for two weeks in our luggage.

You had a babysitter...that is great - I have never tried that yet but have always wanted to enjoy my child (now children) on our trips but to have just one night even where we can get out for a night...did your babysitter work only at LAE or does the babysitter go to other locations? I would love a contact please!!

We are hoping to rent a vehicle so that we can spend some of our days perusing the island at our discretion and more importantly at the discretion of babies and 5 year olds!!

thaks again!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St.Kitts has been dumped - now WHAT?

Elsiedog - Thanks for posting your positive experience on Grenada. It truly is an island that will capture your heart. I know it did ours. The people are wonderful and so proud to show you their island.

Boston...
Level Contributor
89 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St.Kitts has been dumped - now WHAT?

I am making it my goal to get back to Grenada for a LONG visit next time around - maybe my company will allow me a six-month leave? One can dream! I sent a private message with details about our AMZING amazing wonderful sitter. Best regards to all - ECT

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St.Kitts has been dumped - now WHAT?

6 months would be heaven!! It is amazing how some go to an island even one as sensational as Grenada...and think one week is good enough and others - obviously more like us just can't figure out how to get back for a longer time...I have often dreamed of living on Grenada or St.kitts....Grenada has always been the first island in my heart...based on what everyone is saying here it has really kept its best qualities intact despite hurricanes, recession and an ever changing global society!!

Maybe one day I can make a more long term committment to Grenada..I look forward to hearing if you are able to get your 6 months!!!

Get answers to your questions about Grenada