We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How's Grenada for families? Safety?

Chicago
Level Contributor
14 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
How's Grenada for families? Safety?

We are looking at Grenada for famliy vacaction (children age 11 and 3). We like low-key, off the beaten path, but safe. Are looking at renting a condo or staying at a smaller (not too expensive) resort. Like Grenada because of historic sites, pretty town, good beaches, hiking.

Is Grenada safe? Is it easy to get around with taxi only? How is driving a rental car? Scary or ok?

Suggestions and comments please!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. George's
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How's Grenada for families? Safety?

Grenada is one of the safest islands we have been to in all our travels. Grenadians are very friendly and are proud to show off their country. I have traveled the island by myself (single female traveler) and never once felt unsafe. It sounds like it is perfect for what you are looking for, lots of historic sites, pretty towns and beaches, hiking, good local food, and local culture.

Do you need the full resort amenities? If you are ok with not having a pool onsite, take a look at Lance Aux Epines Cottages. It's no secret that it is my favorite low key accommodation on the island. They have cottages and apartments at a very reasonable price and the staff are fantastic.

You can get around by taxi or local bus, all very safe. However taxis will start to add up quickly depending on where you want to go and where you are staying. Driving a rental car is ok once you get used to driving on the left. Some people find driving a little scary, but we have not had any problems at all.

Chicago
Level Contributor
14 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How's Grenada for families? Safety?

Thanks for the info. We are going to go to Grenada! We are looking at the Flamboyant or maybe a condo, but will look at Lance aux Epines also. Thanks so much.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How's Grenada for families? Safety?

We have travelled to Grenada many times and after 6 years of being away we are returning this year in January with our two sons age 5 and almost 3 months old....we are returning because our experience and current research has proven the island is as safe as we can hope....I have been to over 13 islands and Grenada feels the safest to me...the next is St.Kitts.

But if you are looking at Grenada I would strongly suggest you go and feel confident in your choice it is a breathtaking island with wonderful people and a fantastic rich culture.

We have chosen Flamboyant as we have stayed there previously and were thrilled and we are looking for a kitchen which we can have at Flamboyant. Plus we can purchase from Canada a package of flight and Flamboyant however, we would have been hard pressed to choice between Lance Aux Epines as we have heard wonderful things about it and the cottages look fantastic - the main reason we did not consider it is it is not available from here in a package and that ease of travel for us right now is precedent. Maybe another year on a less child conscious travel.

Enjoy no matter which choice - they are both fantastic I gather and the island will steal your heart forever as it has mine and many more.

Toronto
Level Contributor
822 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How's Grenada for families? Safety?

Lance aux Epines cottages are nice, and if you're looking in that area, just up the road are Coral cove cottages, may be what you're looking for as well.

Chicago
Level Contributor
14 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How's Grenada for families? Safety?

Thanks everyone, for the advice.

How do we choose between Flamboyant (with kitchette) and and the cottages? Is it easier to get around if we are based on Grand Anse vs. Lance aux Epine? Easier to walk to restaurants in one location vs. the other (keeping in mind we are slow walkers with our 3 year old).

What about the Blue Horizons Garden Resort?

How are the cost of restaurants? The cost of lodging seems so reasonable...

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How's Grenada for families? Safety?

I don't know details of Lance area for walking but for Flamboyant...there are lots of stairs to get to many of the rooms - some are easier because they are at ground level or one above...but on the flip side....so much is within walking distance via the beach....even the fact that you HAVE that beach right there....and you also get Mourne Rouge Beach around the corner which is a small trek if the three year old is not in a stroller but can be done either way.

There are restaurants on both beaches and there are restaurants at all the hotels, and down the road from Flamboyant to main road. Plus if you trek along the beach thru Grand Beach Resort you can be at the little mall Spiceland (I think?) within 10 minutes and have full groceries, and little food spots...I used to go to the one pizza and ice cream spot I gather there are more there now. Grab a cab back if you are too tired to trek back.

That is why we also are confident in our choice of Flamboyant. We will be taking our stroller and / or Baby Bjorn to carry baby...I am not sure of costs or restaurants now...but all the great information provided tome in preparation seems there is a lot of variety of prices and types of restaurants...

When are you going?

Chicago
Level Contributor
14 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How's Grenada for families? Safety?

We are going to go over the summer June or July... when our son is out of school and the prices are lower.

Have you looked at Blue Horizons Garden Resort? It looks nice; similar in price to the Flamboyant. I would much prefer to swim in the ocean vs. a pool, but nice to have a pool where the kids can play and are more "contained" than on the beach. Also nice to have an on-site restaurant vs. staying in a cottage, but if restaurants and grocerie stores are close, it probably won't matter one way or the other.

Glad to hear there's a grocery nearby. We don't mind walking or stairs. We are good hikers. We are just slow with the toddler! I want to bring a backpack carrier for her, but those carriers are so bulky; I think we'll just bring an umbrella stroller.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How's Grenada for families? Safety?

When we stayed in Gnd 5 years ago we looked briefly at Mt. Cinamon and Blue Horizons both were lovely but did not offer the same thing as Flamboyant for us - which really starts with the VIEW!!!! and the proximity to the beach...although the stairs oh the stairs (but you are right it was manageable when i was 6 months pregnant)...the beach is right there for you...where as Blue is a bit of a walk to the matching hotel on the beach or up the road to entry point to the beach.

If you are going in June / July I will do my best to come home and post pictures of Flamboyant for you - Blue Horizons as well if you would like...Pigsterz is totally knowledgeable about GND but also about Lance Aux Epines..I think she has a website with endless pics of both places.

At Flamboyant you have the option of swimming in the pool with kids or on either of the beaches...I gather that Mourne Rouge around the corner is great for kids as it is shallow and calm.

Chicago
Level Contributor
14 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How's Grenada for families? Safety?

You are definitely making me lean toward Flamboyant. I've already emailed them about any summer deals they might have...

Thanks for all the info. None of our friends travel like we do--they say we should do all-inclusive in Aruba. Lol. Not our style! Glad to find some like minds here.

Do we need to get some EC dollars, or do US dollars work fine? Or do most places take credit cards?

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. George's
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How's Grenada for families? Safety?

For proximity to restaurants and grocery store, you will want to stay in the Grand Anse area. Blue Horizon is good, but as Caribheart pointed out, not directly on the beach. It is a sister property of Spice Island Beach Resort so you'll be able to have chair privileges there, but keep in mind that food/beverages at Spice Island are expensive as it is a luxury resort. But no worries, there is the SGU campus cafeteria right next door where you can grab some delicious local lunch for a very reasonable price.

Flamboyant enjoys fantastic views of Grand Anse and beyond. And you can have a choice of Grand Anse or Morne Rouge beach. The water around the end of Flamboyant on Grand Anse tends to be a bit rough, but Morne Rouge is perfectly calm and one of our favorite beaches.

Lance Aux Epines cottages have full kitchens, and you can have your housekeeper cook you local food for like $5 per person charge + cost of ingredients. It is located directly on a calm beach, though not as pretty as Grand Anse or Morne Rouge, but perfect for little ones. There are a couple of restaurants nearby, but would suggest having a car or taking taxis.

I have several older trip reports with a lot of photos. If you are interested, you can find them at www.mymoosie.net . I've yet to get around to my newer trip reports, unfortunately I'm a procrastinator. :-\

Get answers to your questions about Grenada