We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning re a Thief

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
638 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Warning re a Thief

Please be forewarned - we had our camera, IPOD and home cell phone stolen while on Holidays in Grenada this past November/December... I must note this was NOT done by a Grenadian.... in fact, the person's name is Shayne? Shane? and he was from Trinidad. Our friends are looking for him, and so are the police. We just want our CAMERA and all our TRIP PICTURES back!!!! He has already run up many charges on our cell phone, so we hope our provider will track him down that way.... the St. George's police have not responded yet, but maybe that's because they have not found him yet. He is about 22, very good looking, nice (apparently!) young man, with a spiderweb tattoo on his arm, can't remember which one... If ANYONE meets up with him, please call the St. George's Police station immediately!!!

PS: The IPOD was purple, 16 GB, the camera is a Canon with 2 large memory cards in it. The cell phone is a Motorola V360, but is now useless for anyone's use.

PLEASE HELP, and be careful!!!!! Thank you.

Rochester NY USA
Level Contributor
81 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning re a Thief

Where were you when this happend ?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
638 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning re a Thief

Oh, now that's a long story; our Grenada friend thought "he was alright," and we went out to an island and partied with him all day with our friend who we KNOW is a friend - but we obviously didn't know him (this Shane creep) at all. Be careful of the nice ones....

Anyway he lifted the stuff somewhere at the end of the night. He was the ONLY one in our place that night (where our cell phone never left our place), helping to take down beers to the beach. Even our good (Grenadian) friend wasn't up in our room!!!! We didn't notice til the next day about the cell phone; here we thought we were just stupid & LOST the camera and IPOD. Until we put everything together and realized....

Stupid on our part, but live and learn... just want to warn others in Grenada right now to be on the alert for this guy, if he's even still on the island.

Edited: 21 December 2009, 00:18
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning re a Thief

I'm sorry to hear of this unpleasant experience. What a real bummer. I would be utterly p.o.'d if my camera/card were stolen. I hope they catch the guy. If you're on facebook, you might want to join some of the Grenada groups and publish it there too as there are more locals reading those and you can get better exposure.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
638 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning re a Thief

Thanks, it certainly sucked, that's for sure!!! Re Facebook I might just do that :)

London, UK
Level Contributor
48 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning re a Thief

Pigsterz is right. I would get on Facebook. Grenada is a small place in terms of who knows who and having that distinct tat on his arm is a dead giveaway..Lots of local Facebook sites. Also try PartyGrenada.com. They have good forum you should use.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
638 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning re a Thief

Thanks all - if the police can't catch him, maybe someone else will! ):

7. Re: Warning re a Thief

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2010, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Grenada