We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

when flying back to the states...

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,041 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
when flying back to the states...

I am curious. When we fly home from Grenada, we stop in San Juan before coming home to the states. Where do we go through customs? If in San Juan, does that mean we have to get our bags, because we were told they were to be checked all the way through.

Thanks!

Barb

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: when flying back to the states...

Yes, you will clear customs in San Juan. You will clear immigration, then get your checked luggage and clear customs. From there you'll drop your checked luggage at the American luggage drop off, which is different than the ticket counter. You will not need to get them re-tagged as they are already tagged to your final destination.

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,041 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: when flying back to the states...

Okay, so that takes a chunk of time out of our 8 hour layover that we were going to go into Old San Juan. We actually transfer to US Airways. So, we would bring them to that counter's drop off. I wonder why they even bothered to say they would be checked all the way through....

Thanks for the info..

Barb

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: when flying back to the states...

Oh, I had assumed you would be on American on both legs. I don't know if my answer applies to flying American then US Airways for your second leg, unless they have an agreement to check your bag (ie. tag it) all the way through...

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,041 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: when flying back to the states...

That's okay Pigsterz. I think you are right either way, from what I am now reading on other forums.

It is what it is...I will still be on vacation and enjoying myself.

Barb

Seaside
Level Contributor
139 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: when flying back to the states...

Check w/ AA, they may have (and prob. do have) an agreement w/ US Air, and will/may provide a seamless bag transfer. Ever-which-a-way, no worries. U will have plenty o' time to see Old San Juan. Grab your bags, check them in w/ US Air, or if it's to soon, SJU has lockers you can rent on the cheap to store them, then grab a hack to Ole SJ and enjoy! We are heading to GND in Feb and have a 5 hour return layover in SJU. Thats a good thing 4 us. 15 min. cab ride from the aeropuerto. We have done it w/ a 3, so no problem w/ 8.

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,041 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: when flying back to the states...

Thansk chilaxn, enjoy your trip!

Barb

7. Re: when flying back to the states...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Grenada