We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grenada vs Antigua

London
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Grenada vs Antigua

Hello there. I am trying to decide between Grenada and Antigua. We are looking for a relaxing holiday, with a nice beach. We are taking our one year old baby, so beach and pool will be where we will spend most of our time. We are also looking for nice food and are keen on trying local stuff.

One more thing that is concerning me is health, mainly because of the baby. Can anyone help me about health facilities in either Antigua or Grenada?

Many thanks!!

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Grenada vs Antigua

I would definitely recommend Grenada which has a very relaxed atmosphere and many beautiful beaches. One of the best beaches in Grenada is Grand Anse Beach with several hotels along the beach and a few within walking distance. The Grand Anse area is also very central with three shopping centres within walking distance, several banks and local shops and restaurants. Some hotels along the beach include Coyaba Beach Resort, Spice Island Beach Resort - both directly on the beach and across from one of the shopping malls and local restaurants - Mount Cinnamon Beach Resort and Flamboyant Hotel & Villas which are both set on a hillside within walking distance of Grand Anse Beach. Healthwise, there is a general hospital with good facilities as well as a private hospital. Any of the hotels will also be able to provide you with a list of local doctors. The board of tourism's official website has a wealth of information on hotels and other facilities - www.grenadagrenadines.com.

London
Level Contributor
51 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grenada vs Antigua

I agree with Spice, both islands are beautiful but Grenada is far quieter more laid back and relaxed. If you just want the beach and pool then one of the resorts/hotels on Grand Anse is perfect. Lots of places to eat and the local food is great. The people are the friendliest I have come across.

Edited: 01 March 2010, 11:11
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grenada vs Antigua

Another vote for Grenada. Not that we're biased since this is the Grenada forum. ;-)

We've been to Antigua 3 times but much prefer Grenada. Grenadians are the friendliest we've met in our travels, we feel very safe anywhere we've traveled on the island, the beaches are beautiful, and the local food absolutely delicious!

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grenada vs Antigua

Another big vote for Grenada - as with you I travelled there with my children - one age 5 the other a small 3 months. Safety was a major issue for me and that was part of why we chose Grenada over other islands...And Grenada did not disappoint and we were very active moving around the island in rental car, on foot adn with stroller - we even walked down our road at night to dinner at La Boulangerie - NO PROBLEM! Safe.

As for medical - we had to use the services of a local doctor because I had a bit of a fall with my infant...the doctor was fantastic and I felt very confident that if anything else should have come up I would have felt safe using his services. As someone else pointed out there is also an American University of Medicine there so there are all sorts of well trained people at the school....

Grenada is a great place to travel with a young family - I strongly recommend it!

London
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grenada vs Antigua

Thank you all for your comments! I am looking forward to our trip to Grenada in April.

Just one more question. Have you got any suggestion on daytrips to Tobago Cays? I heard they are beautiful, and great for snorkelling.

Thanks again.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grenada vs Antigua

You can arrange a Tobago Cays daytrip. Last time we used Caribbean Horizons, while others have used Sunsation Tours. You fly on a puddle-jumper to Union Island, and from there you board either the Scaramouche or Yannis. Scaramouche is a schooner, featured in one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Yannis is a catamaran so easier access to/from the boat.

Both stop at Palm Island, Mayreau, then on to the Cays where you can snorkel. At Baradal Cay you snorkel with turtles!

It's a fantastic daytrip and I'd highly recommend it. Be sure to book in advance as they don't run the trips unless they have the minimum number of people.

Here are the photos from our trip in Nov if you are interested:

imageevent.com/kajugo/thegrenadinesnovember2…

London
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grenada vs Antigua

Thanks for your reply Pigsterz. Do you think that doing the trip with a one year old would be too much of a hassle?

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,055 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grenada vs Antigua

OMG!! Those pictures are gorgeous. I can't wait!!

Barb

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grenada vs Antigua

Hi argie1974,

The Tobago Cays daytrip may be too much with a 1-year old. However I don't have any experience with kids so I'm not the best qualified person to answer.

The trip involves flying out from Grenada at around 8am or so, which means you do have to be at the airport fairly early. The flight to Union is roughly 35 minutes on an 8-seater plane. Then it is a full day on the boat, with a flight back around 4:30ish. It makes for a long day. I know we were all tired when we got back to Grenada.

Alexandria Va.
Level Contributor
208 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grenada vs Antigua

Pigsterz those are some absolutely spectacular pictures. We did the Scaramouche in July and this brought back great memories (and put our pictures to shame). Wish we were there now.