We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flamboyant / Rex

UK
Level Contributor
591 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Flamboyant / Rex

We are trying to decide between Flamboyant and Rex for a week in September. I believe there is good snorkelling off the beach at Rex but what about on Grand Anse?

Also, if you go all-inclusive, can you get drinks brought to your room or is it best to buy bottles of wine at the supermarket.

How much is a taxi from airport, and how long does it take?

These questions have probably been asked before so I apologise!

Notts UK
Level Contributor
532 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flamboyant / Rex

We were also torn between the Rex and the Flampboyant. In the end we chose the Flamboyant, mainly because reviews on TA are so good. The Flamboyant also seems more central to the 'action' and is a smaller, more intimate hotel. No idea what the snorkelling will be like on Grand Anse but they are linked to Dive Grenada who I believe offer snorkelling trips. We go in June, can't wait!!

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
244 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flamboyant / Rex

Stayed at Flamboyant this January and also visited Rex.

A. Some people did snorkell from Grand Anse but more popular seemed to be via a boat trip from Dive Grenada on site at Flamboyant.

B. If AI, then you have to collect your unlimited free drinks from the bar and walk them back to your room. The wine was good quality and you can ask for a large glass -but not the whole bottle!. Free drinking water can be collected in the same way, similarly fresh orange juice, which was superb.

C. Taxi airport to Flamboyant would take only ten minutes and cost you about 40 to 45 EC's. If not for your luggage you could walk from the airport to Rex and a taxi would be the minimun fare with luggage (perhaps 20EC's? )

Remember Rex is quite isolated but its easy to get a Taxi to Grand Anse and onwards into town and the much cheaper mini buses trawl past the Hotel and beep you to try and get you onboard.

UK
Level Contributor
591 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flamboyant / Rex

Thank you for your replies. Thinking our preference is going towards Flamboyant.

snowlady07 - make sure you report back here afterwards. Looking forward to hearing about your trip.

J&B - glad you enjoyed your holiday. What kind of room did you have? I'm not sure from what I have read if there is much difference between them. We are intending going A/I so don't really need a kitchen.

One website I looked at said there is only housekeeping once a week, and you need to take your towels to be changed for clean ones. Is that correct?

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
2,154 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flamboyant / Rex

There is good snorkeling off of the Rex..near the beachfront rooms and down by the Aquaruim rest. Also have a Dive Place on site and will take you out.

Excellent views at Happy Hour by the pool at the Rex..........sunsets and cruise ships leaving. If you book a Beachfront room you are steps to the Beach. I believe the Flamboyant sits up on a hill and has many steps. The Rex is more private the the busy Grand Anse where cruise ship people visit.

No problem from Rex to hail a taxi into town, or off to Grand Anse or to other places. The grounds are nice with different kinds of trees and a pond in the middle with birds and turtles. No problems to get beach chairs either.

The Rex..you can go AI.

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
244 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flamboyant / Rex

Hi Lat

For Flamboyant room quality etc best read the review we put up on this hotel on this site. Rooms are cleaned daily and the good quality towels are replaced daily provided you leave them on the floor. If you hang them up then they are not replaced. Beach towels are provided free at reception and are replaced at reception whenever you need a clean one .

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flamboyant / Rex

We stayed at the Flamboyant in Jan / Feb. I have also written a trip report and a review with pretty good details of the Flamboyant.

We stayed in a one bedroom unit called Stong Man...it did have a kitchen so if you dont need one you may not want to pay the extra but my one piece of advice is to request a great view...we simply made that request and were put in a stunning unit with the best view I have ever enjoyed in the Caribbean. I don't know that Flamboyant would have bad views becaue of its unique and fabulous location but there are even BETTER views...a bit higher up to avoid the power lines etc...after we checked out of our room after two weeks we were given a complimentary unit to enjoy until our shuttle arrived. It was much lower and to the left of the reception area (if looking at reception away from view).... it was in eye level with power lines which I have read as a complain previously... Honestly the power lines were a non event and the room was nicely appointed and in some ways had a better access to everything. Less stairs, closer to beach and restaurants etc...BUT - the debate for us would be difficult because the greater number of stairs although not ideal can be easily overcome by walking the relatively quiet road and then - stunning perfect views with a bit more privacy and more private balcony....

Snorkeling - my Father snorkeled off Grand Anse - there appears to be a small reef running parallel to beach not too far off shore - others snorkeled out to the left toward Morne Rouge and said there was good snorkeling but that was a bit too nerve wracking for my Dad alone....he also snorkeled at Morne Rouge and was not too impressed (but happy to be snorkeling rather than shoveling!) He stated taht the best though was the Dive Grenada trip he and my husband did on one of the last days- it was very affordable, the took them both on a last minute trip and they were really very happy with the snorkeling - again it was easy access from Flamboyant...just a jump down those infamous stairs adn they were off!

I can not rave highly enough about the |Flamboyant - the service was very personal and great quality everyone went out of their way to help us and ensure we enjoyed our vacation and we really got a sense of the wonderful Grenadian nature in people....It is a beautiful location with stunning views and easy access to one of the best beaches in the world!

Have a wonderful time!

7. Re: Flamboyant / Rex

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2010, 06:17