We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible Solo trip to Grenada, where to stay & what to do

ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Possible Solo trip to Grenada, where to stay & what to do

I'm looking into taking a solo trip to Grenada in Jan or Feb 2011. Looking on info for where to stay & what to do. I am a 33 yr old female, this will be my 1st solo trip. I'm looking at a 5-6 day stay, want to relax, but also have fun, a little nightlife, a little sight seeing. want to experience local culture. i'm begging for suggestions!! I'm looking into Grenada or Barbados. Any help is greatly appreciated.

London
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible Solo trip to Grenada, where to stay & what to do

Grenada offers peace and tranquility as well as fun and entertainment.

Where to stay depends very much on budget - at the luxury end there are several to choose from - Spice Island Beach Resort; Calabash Hotel; LaSource; Mount Cinnamon; Mt Hartman Bay Resort; Coyaba Beach Resort; in the 3* range there is the Flamboyant; Blue Horizons Garden Resort; Grenadian by Rex Resorts; True Blue Bay Resort; Kalinago Beach Resort; if you are looking for something more intimate - there are several including Candle Glow Apartments; Wave Crest Holiday Apartments; Jenny's Place; Grand Anse Beach Palace Hotel; Lance Aux Epines Cottages, etc. The Grand Anse area would be ideal as it is on the main bus routes and withing walking distance of supermarkets, restaurants, banks, etc.

For things to see-and-do I would recommend an island tour - possibly up the western side with a stop at Concord Waterfalls; Veronica's Visions; Dougladston Spice Boucan; lunch and tour at the Belmont Estate; River Antoine Rum Factory and return through the Grand Etang Rainforest - stop at the crate lake, etc. There are several tours to choose from - island tours, city tours, garden tours, etc., and there are several excellent ground tour operators: Mandoo, Chris, Henry's, etc.

Lots of restaurants from cafes and bistros to 5*.

Nightlife includes Fantazia 2001 - on the Morne Rouge Beach (next door to Kalinago Beach Resort) - parties on Wednesday, Friday & Saturday; Karma on the Carenage on Friday & Saturday; Bananas on Friday & Saturday.

Take a look at the Grenada Board of Tourism's website for a range of activities, hotels, restaurants, tour operators, etc. www.grendadagrenadies.com.

Grenada is quite a safe and peaceful destination and the people are very friendly and hospitable and the hotel staff offer a very personal and friendly service. Sounds like just what you are looking for.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible Solo trip to Grenada, where to stay & what to do

I agree with what SuziMas said. Grenada is a wonderful place to visit with plenty to offer besides the beach. I usually travel with my hubby but last year I traveled by myself (30 something female) and drove around Grenada. I always felt safe and when I got lost, locals would come up to me to make sure I was ok and point me in the right direction.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible Solo trip to Grenada, where to stay & what to do

With my knowledge of both islands....I would strongly suggest Grenada over Barbados for peace of mind in terms of stacking things in your favour safety wise. I found that there is a feeling of safety on the island of Grenada that is not easily found on other islands.

Just my opinion - I do wish you the best in your travels Grenada is one of my two personal favorite places to travel!

ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible Solo trip to Grenada, where to stay & what to do

thank you guys so much. i'll really check into Grenada to see what I can come up with. Thank you SuziMas for all the info, it will definitely come in handy.

Hatfield...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possible Solo trip to Grenada, where to stay & what to do

Although I don't usually travel by myself, I did do a solo trip to Grenada a few years ago and never once felt uncomfortable as a woman traveling on her own. I stayed in an apartment in a residential part of Lanse Aux Epines because I didn't want to stay at a hotel on my own. It was the Spice Tree Suites and the owners are terrific--you can do a Google search for the apartments, which are nicely furnished and extremely reasonable!

Seattle, Wa, USA
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Possible Solo trip to Grenada, where to stay & what to do

My wife and I are planning a trip to Grenada. I am curious about your other favorite place. Where is that, if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you,

Jim

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Possible Solo trip to Grenada, where to stay & what to do

My other favorite place? If it is me you are asking then happily I will offer....St.Kitts!! Grenada and St.Kitts have many stunning similarities and yet wonderfully they are both unique from one another...different people, different feel but I found them both to be safe if at all maybe just a touch more in Grenada....but I feel a jerk even suggesting that as I did not feel threatened in St.Kitts ever.

There is something strangely windswept and romantic and rugged about much of St,Kitts, or at least the parts I enjoy venturing out time adn time again to, in the beautiful charming town but also the SE Peninsula with its views to stunning Nevis, the many great fun beach bars that mean you can walk quite safely on the beach at night, participate in a bonfire on the beach then wake up in the morning and head out to Ottleys with the sweeping views to the sea across blowing Palms, to the Golden Lemon with insane views of Eustatia (I think) and teh black sand, all of this feeling like you could be the only person on this island...oh...or Kate Spencers house / gallery, where I dream of found a place that is actually what has always livedin my dreams....Rawlins plantation. Whereas Grenada has this really lush, tropical out of a movie feel in the beauty of the town, the fort, the mountains and rainforest with waterfalls....but also dreamy Caribbean with stunning sunsets and and beautiful beaches. Plus they both have a real feeling, for me, of being home. But a different home in both places.

And on both islands - the people - SENSATIONAL!!

After you travel to Grenada I do hope you will return and share your experience, I hope it is as wonderful as many of ours....then I can share more of my thoughts of how St.Kitts may equally thrill or differently impress...

As a footnote - when I dream of maybe buying a place, or a condo in the Caribbean...I can never decide between these two islands and often fear if I buy on one my heart would long for the other too....torn between two loves!!

Enjoy Grenada!!!!

Edited: 17 December 2010, 01:16
8. Re: Possible Solo trip to Grenada, where to stay & what to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2011, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Grenada
Recent Conversations