We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas 2011 here with 2 teens ??

Level Contributor
396 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas 2011 here with 2 teens ??

I know it's high season but we would really like to go away next Christmas. We have already been to Mexico and Dominican Republic a few times. Are there any other beach type destinations that are not too far from NJ (5 hour flight approx.) that won't be exorbitantly expensive over Christmas vacation? We do not want all-inclusive. We really like to explore our surroundings and get to know the people, land, food, etc. We love to snorkle, hike, kayak, and soak up the sun. We've been to many of the more traveled Caribbean islands, as well as Hawaii and Costa Rica already. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas 2011 here with 2 teens ??

I think Grenada is a good choice. If you can fly out of JFK you can catch a Delta flight and possibly Caribbean Airlines. I would say that airfare will take a big bite out of the budget but you can stretch your budget on accommodations and food as there are many choices on the island in various price range. Of the islands we've been to, we've found Grenada to be one of the most affordable once you are on the island, even during the christmas season.

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas 2011 here with 2 teens ??

I think Grenada would be a great destination for a Christmas holiday with teens. If you don't go all-inclusive and book your flights well ahead of time, Christmas shouldn't be any more expensive than any other time of year. We spent this past Christmas in Antigua with our two teenagers (rented an apartment) but have been to Grenada and it would be just as good a choice (although it is a bit further if a long flight is a concern - our kids hate flying!).

Durham
Level Contributor
52 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas 2011 here with 2 teens ??

I think that Grenada would be the perfect choice for you and your family. I spent Christmas 2010 there with my husband and 2 teenage children and we all absolutely loved it. I can highly recommend Petite Anse Hotel in the unspoilt north of the island (see my posting on the review page of the hotel). The owners Annie and Philp could not be more helpful and do their utmost to add the personal touch to their service. They will arrange and recommend activities tailored to your requirements. For example, they arranged a rainforest trek with Telfor (an amazing local guide) for us, they also arranged with a local called Dragon to take us to Sandy Island on his boat where we went snokelling (on Christmas Eve!). We also hired a car and explored the local area including a cocoa plantation and rum distillery. All of these activites were very reasonably priced and well worth doing.

Grenada is a beautiful island with lovely people, all of which make for a fantastic holiday.

4. Re: Christmas 2011 here with 2 teens ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2012, 05:31