We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of a family trip; airline suggestions?

South Burlington...
Level Contributor
85 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking of a family trip; airline suggestions?

I am considering booking a trip for my family of four (wife and two teenagers) to Grenada in February or April. So far, on Kayak, etc., I can't get much information about flights (I live in the Burlington, Vermont area and can drive to Plattsburg (Spirit and Allegiant Air to Fort Lauderdale), Albany or Manchester, or, if necessary, New York or Boston. I am not sure where to start, what airlines to consider, etc.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Grenada
Grenada
Caribbean
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Alaska
Level Contributor
372 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of a family trip; airline suggestions?

Hi. Here are some choices that fly into Grenada...

Caribbean Airlines has a nonstop to/from JFK. It leaves at 1:35pm, and arrives in GND at 6:05pm. Return flight leaves GND @ 6:55am, getting into JFK at 11:50am.

From MIA, there are no nonstops on Kayak, but I believe American still has a nonstop out of Miami.

The other option you have is flying to San Juan, and taking the American flight that leaves San Juan at 7:55pm, arriving in Grenada at 10:04pm. That might open up options for you. Lots of different airlines fly into San Juan.

The last suggestion is to try Barbados as your connecting island. From Barbados, you can take Liat to Grenada. (short island hopper flight).

Mentioned in this post
Grenada
Grenada
Caribbean
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Sausalito, CA
Level Contributor
101 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of a family trip; airline suggestions?

I would try the American out of Miami. It's jet service, very comfortable and leaves later in the day to allow for connections. Going from San Juan is a lot less comfortable as it is a prop plane. You have little room and it travels slower. I'm not sure of costs, but I would bet that the Miami route is the cheapest of everything. I think Virgin may also have a flight.

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Sausalito, CA
Level Contributor
101 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking of a family trip; airline suggestions?

One other possibility we have done (we come from California) is going to Trinidad. The flight from there is a lot cheaper and shorter than from Barbados. It hasn't made financial sense in recent years, but may from other destinations. Some also go through Isla Margarita in Venezuela.

Mentioned in this post
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Margarita Island
Margarita Island
Coastal Islands, Venezuela
Venezuela
Venezuela
South America
Wellfleet...
Level Contributor
143 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking of a family trip; airline suggestions?

Getting to Grenada from New England is long, and labor-intensive, but SO WORTH IT!

Although we've looked at other ways of getting there, American Airlines through San Juan has always been what we've ended up with for $$ and convenience (LOL!). There is a long layover, but we enjoy getting a taxi to the Old San Juan area,sight-seeing, having some lunch (or great pastries) a mojito, perhaps? You can ask the taxi driver to pick you up at a designated time, or get another one easily to return to the airport.

The prop plane is what it is - try to book seats forward of the wing area.

Have you investigated leaving from Montreal or Toronto?

I hope your Grenada plans work out!

Mentioned in this post
Grenada
Grenada
Caribbean
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Old San Juan
Old San Juan
14,086 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking of a family trip; airline suggestions?

You can also look into JetBlue to Barbados (BGI), and then LIAT airline from BGI to Grenada.

We find AA to be the easiest with less worries of having to arrange connections on different airlines. We usually go the Miami route.

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Grenada
Grenada
Caribbean
6. Re: Thinking of a family trip; airline suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 00:19