We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes?

usa
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes?

Should I expect too many mosquitoes early Nov/mid Nov?

Thanks

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
186 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes?

Mosquitoes can be bad any time of year...you can bring bug spray or purchase it at a super market/convenience store if your lodging doesn't have it available...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes?

Bring insect repellent just in case. If you are like me, a magnet for mosquitoes, they will find you no matter what time of the year. Apply repellent if you are out starting at dusk. I was sitting outside by the pool the other day around sunset and I now count 7 bites because I was foolish enough not to have sprayed myself.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
186 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes?

Also-on second though, you may want to bring your own bug spray. While cigarettes, beer, rum and a bus ride may be cheap, things like bug spray and swim suits tend to be ridiculously expensive(!)

usa
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes?

Thanks for the responses! Just curious, will mosquitoes be less of an issue Dec onwards or in Jan when it is supposedly the "dry" season?

Winston-Salem
Level Contributor
163 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes?

Mossies are around all the time depending on where *you* are. If you are up high or on the beach with breeze they don't seem to bother. Anywhere the air is still there will be mossies. I have used powerful DEET sprays that seem to make them more aggressive. Stick with regular old natural citronella oil which is generally available at the markets for about $15EC 3oz bottle. Compare that with some OFF! deet spray for about $30EC for a spray bottle. BTW, citronella oil works for soothing rashes and other bug bites as well.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
8 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitoes?

I came back this past Saturday and had been there on vacation for 8 days. My legs look like I'm recovering from chicken pox. I have over 30 bites. I used 25% Deet Deep Woods Off in the evenings and a mosquito coil, but the mosquitoies still seemed to want to eat me alive. They didn't touch my boyfriend. Go figure! I truly hope you have a better experience. As much as my legs are itching right now, I would still go back to Grenada in a heart beat. It is my new favorite caribbean island. Next time, I will pack more linen pants and less dresses.

usa
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitoes?

Thanks for the information UltraStar175, World_Traveler83!

Winston-Salem
Level Contributor
163 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitoes?

Does your boyfriend eat lots of garlic and you do not? Check your local dive shop...they have some vitamin pills that keep your scent mosquito repelling.

9. Re: Mosquitoes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2011, 17:43
Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitoes?

I am in St Georges now and have noticed that when the nights are still that's when the mozzies attack x 100 times worse.

Mozzie coils are readily available in supermarkets here,if you bring them from home they'll only break in your luggage......they are cheap and effective.Anti itch cream is an absolute necessity as well for after bite care.

Also another effective repellant I've found is Bounce clothes dryer sheets......yep just wipe on exposed skin...smells nice too!

If you are really worried, as an added precaution, check if your accomadation has mosquito nets over the bed.

Yes there are mosquitoes here but when well prepared you'll be fine!