We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grenada vs. St. Lucia

New Hope...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Grenada vs. St. Lucia

I'm planning a trip for two for sometime in March or April, and so far I've been most interested in these options. The main things we're looking for are:

* Beautiful beaches

* No tourist trap feel -- or at least the ability to get away from touristy areas relatively easily

* Variety of activity -- we don't just want to sit on the beach for a week.

* ZIp-lining, preferably

* Rainforest or similar scenic beauty on the island

And ideally, we're trying to keep the cost in the $2500-$4000 range, including airfare (coming from Philly or Newark).

Am I on the right track looking at Grenada and St. Lucia? Which would better fit what we're looking for? Are there any other islands I should be seriously considering?

Thanks!

Grenadatours
Sightseeing Tours
Rhum Runner II
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Toronto
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grenada vs. St. Lucia

Beaches - Grenada is better!

Neither St.Lucia or Grenada are terribly tourist trappy...areas of St.Lucia may appear so, such as the Rodney Bay area - maybe...but not too much else. Grenada - some might say that Grand Anse - but still compared to most other tourist destinations NO to either.

Tonnes of activity on both islands but I personally found myself more comfortable in Grenada and in that easier to get to the activities...that is just my opinion.

Rainforest on Grenada yes...waterfalls in abundance! St. Lucia - the Pitons!! One of the most impressive sights...just wish there were more attainable affordable hotels close to them.

No ziplining that I know of in Gnd and uncertain about St.Lucia.

Sounds like you are absolutely on the right track as these are both unique islands that possess old world Caribbean West Indian charm and proud culture...I enjoy the accessibility of Grenada more and the people stunned me at how kind, generous and friendly - for me a little less in St.Lucia. I also found I was put off by the 90 min drive to most hotels in St.Lucia as you already spend a chunk of time getting to the island!

So for me my magical place in the world IS Grenada...so I am partial - but for a reason!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,534 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grenada vs. St. Lucia

Grenada it is for us as well.

Cheers.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grenada vs. St. Lucia

I've not been to St. Lucia, it's still on my list of places to get to. Caribheart gave you great advice.

Airfare eats up a big chunk of the budget getting to Grenada. But once you get to the island, there are accommodations in different price points. Local food is also very inexpensive, and you should absolutely try it because Grenadians know how to cook well!

boston
Level Contributor
582 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Grenada vs. St. Lucia

We went to St. Lucia two years ago and absolutely loved it. I personally like the Rodney Bay area, but thought Castries was a little busy for my liking. That's the main town/cruise port area. But you can spend two weeks there and avoid that altogether. We stayed near Rodney Bay, rented a car, and drove the entire island, which I believe is something most tourists don't do. We rode horses into the ocean, played golf, hiked, went to the volcano, Pitons, and every little town we could find. And, yes, went Zip Lining which was unreal. Highly recommend that. And now we are headed to Grenada end of February for 12 days. Can't wait. I've done a ton of research and a friend who used to live on St. Lucia and now lives in Grenada has been very helpful suggesting we will like it there as much, if not more, than St. Lucia. I love the challenge of getting a good deal and I think we did by renting a small condo on BBC beach. It will cost us about $800 for the 12 days. We rented a jeep as well, and are flying from Boston, for well within your stated budget. Good luck!

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,164 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grenada vs. St. Lucia

From my research it seems St Lucia and Grenada are very similar. Grenada is less busy but offers much the same vacation experience. Getting around St Lucia can be an adventure in and of itself whereas I've been told the transportation network in Grenada is quite good. Looking forward to a visit in the not-too-distant future

6. Re: Grenada vs. St. Lucia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2013, 09:21
Get answers to your questions about Grenada