We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking at night

Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Walking at night

Hi!

We are planning our first trip to Grenada very shortly.

We are staying at Flamboant on Grand Anse.

I was wondering how safe is it to walk at night to other restaurants/bars on the beach (e.g.Umbrellas)?

TIA!

Crozet, VA
Level Contributor
628 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking at night

It should be no problem but just don't walk on the beach. Take the road. It is well lite. Use the same precautions you would at home. We've found Grenada to be one of the safest islands in the Caribbean.

Crozet, VA
Level Contributor
628 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking at night

It is safe to walk on the road at night in Grenada but do not walk on the beach. The road is well lite. Use the same precaustions you would at home. Grenada is one of the safest islands in the Caribean.

Edited: 28 January 2012, 13:46
Crozet, VA
Level Contributor
628 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking at night

It should be no problem but just don't walk on the beach. Take the road. It is well lite. Use the same precautions you would at home. We've found Grenada to be one of the safest islands in the Caribbean.

Crozet, VA
Level Contributor
628 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking at night

Sorry about the multiple reports but I had a glitch in the site.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking at night

I agree with each of Sandra's posts ; )

The beach at night is sort of the equivalent of a dark alley...you could be fine but why would you take the risk - it is not lit and in the same way that teenagers here at home enjoy sneaking into dark parks some enjoy the beach for drinking, and general carousing.

We walked the road between Flamboyant and Boulangerie at night without concern. We likely would have felt more vulnerable as we had a 5 year old and an 11 week old with us but I felt totally safe in Grenada the whole time, including the night strolls between hotel and restaurants.

I hope you enjoy both beautiful wonderful Grenada and my beloved Flamboyant!!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. George's
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking at night

I agree with both Sandra & Caribheart, walk on the road. When the sun sets, it is really dark on the beach. We've always felt safe in Grenada, but as with anywhere, take the usual precautions you would at home. Don't forget to bring a couple of small flashlights. We do when we travel and use them all the time when walking to places in the evenings, and even walking from the parking lot to the hotel room.

UK
Level Contributor
414 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking at night

I would say it is totally safe at night as we walked and drove everywhere with our 2 children and never once felt at risk. We also walked all around St Georges and never felt unsafe. I would agree with others and keep off the beach as I am not sure about walking on the beach although we did go to some restaurants on the beach which were dark to get to and never saw any danger

Silicon Valley
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking at night

Ah, thanks' for the advice, but too bad it's not advised to go to the beach at night.

Everyone's saying, "Use the same precautions you would at home"

We walk on the beach at night in CA. Well almost the entire coast line; someone may know of a town you wouldn't in, but I haven't been there. Again, thanks' for mentioning it, we wouldn't have thought about it and would have been on the beach nightly.

Brentwood TN
Level Contributor
141 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking at night

We stayed at the Blue Horizons down the street, but walked to Umbrellas (LOVE that place), the Mall (for groceries before it closed) all the time at night. I posted a picture of the road that goes by Blue Horizons on the way to Flamboyant on a Blue Horizons review. Our first night, we kind of thought "uh oh". But by the end of the week were walking around everywhere with no concerns.

Just use common sense and you'll be fine.

boston
Level Contributor
514 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking at night

Wait. What? The grocery store at the mall closed? When? Why

Get answers to your questions about Grenada