We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay at Grand Anse beach or True Blue Bay resort?

cardiff
Level Contributor
152 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Stay at Grand Anse beach or True Blue Bay resort?

It's our first time to Grenada and I'm not sure whether to stay at the beach (Flamboyant) or at True Blue bay Resort. I really like the look and feel of TBBR but not sure if it's a bit out of the way of any nightlife? How far is it from there to Grand Anse? We're not really beach bums and we'd like to explore the island but we do like beach bars and beach restaurants and sunsets! And live music!

Any tips, please?

boston
Level Contributor
534 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay at Grand Anse beach or True Blue Bay resort?

I would stay at the beach. Grande Anse is so pretty and you are close enough to True Blue to go at night. They do not have a beach and Wednesday night is very rowdy with the college kids and locals. It's a really cute place but the Flamboyant or even Kalinagoo is better located.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,861 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay at Grand Anse beach or True Blue Bay resort?

I also would stay at the Beach. TBB is a fun place to visit but if you are at the beach there are places to walk to and just more transportation readily avail. Be sure to hire a taxi/van for a day long island tour. It gives you the flexibility to spend as much or as little time as you like at different areas and this island is SO beautiful! Waterfalls, spice plantations, out of the way gorgeous beaches, beach restaurants/bars. Shopping and exploring. I also would add a day trip on the Osprey ferry to nearby Carriacou...completely different type small island with VERY laid back Caribbean feel.

Crozet, VA
Level Contributor
629 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay at Grand Anse beach or True Blue Bay resort?

There are two beach bars on Grand Anse, and Umbrellas has great food, drink and live music weekly. You'd have to check their schedule for which nite. Also Garfield's is a great little beach bar but no live music. The Owl at the Flamboyant has good food, and I think occasionally live music. As previously stated you can always go to True Blue for an evening as well as Prickley Bay Marina. There is a new bar that just opened at Port Louis; haven't been there but their Victory Bar has good food and drink and occasionally live music. Grenada is not really known for it's night life but there are a few clubs. And I totally agree with obxpat, explore the island as there is a lot to see and do.

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay at Grand Anse beach or True Blue Bay resort?

I am at True Blue now - just arrived last night. Let me explore the area a bit and I'll get back to you. I'm traveling with my daughter who has an uncanny ability to locate the best party spots.

So far, True Blue has been great - rooms are spacious, bed is comfortable and they had their driver pick us up at the airport - which was fantastic. We got an excellent room rate which includes breakfast - that is what prompted me to pick TB over the places at Grand Anse. True Blue offers a free daily shuttle back and forth to GA area.

If I open the blinds to the patio, I have a view of the ocean.

When are you planning on coming in? I know that between August 10-18 is pretty busy here because of St. George starting their fall semester.

cardiff
Level Contributor
152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay at Grand Anse beach or True Blue Bay resort?

Many thanks for all your replies, I really appreciate it.

Meadowlark, i'd be really interested in hearing your thoughts about any pros and cons about staying where you are and getting out and about. Do you know what time the last shuttle returns from Grand Anse?

We'll be arriving in the first week of December.

Love the sound of the beach bars - they sound right up our street. I also checked out Kalinago and that looks very nice and in our price range and the bay looks pretty - but it's still away from GA, but I guess not too far...

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay at Grand Anse beach or True Blue Bay resort?

Our mission - which we chose to accept :) - is to scout out the area and its facilities and such for my daughter once she starts school at St. George - we are not getting our own car to specifically find out how to get about using the local transportation to get around and function as a student. So far, the driver from the airport to TB cost $15US. It was about a 10 minute trip at 10:30 p.m.

True Blue has their own shuttle to the GA beach area - it leaves at 9:00 and returns at 3:00. However, we are going to see what other methods we can use to get back and forth to the GA area since it seems to hold many of the stores and such that she will need. I'll let you know how things progress.

If its too hard to function from TB on this trip, then we will change our August reservations to another location on GA beach - otherwise, we are scheduled to return to TB in one of the family villas. So definitely - I will keep you posted.

The students will be studying for final exams during the first week of December - so I doubt that they will be adding to the local party scene when you are here. Their semester ends on December 14. The Dodgey Dock here at TB seems to be popular on Wednesday nights with the students.

Just a suggestion - keep an eye out for the web specials that the hotels advertise. We were able to get this room for $112/night with breakfast. It was pretty easy to use their website for booking and they were great with returning emails.

boston
Level Contributor
534 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay at Grand Anse beach or True Blue Bay resort?

Kalinagoo is on BBC beach, which is absolutely gorgeous and private. It is just up the hill from GA and many people will walk down the hill or hitch a ride. It's much closer to GA than True Blue.

Edited: 29 May 2012, 17:17
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay at Grand Anse beach or True Blue Bay resort?

Agree with jdgosox about BBC beach. BBC beach is my favorite beach, absolutely beautiful. It's an easy walk just over a short hill to Grand Anse, so you have access to both beaches.

cardiff
Level Contributor
152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay at Grand Anse beach or True Blue Bay resort?

Thank you, everyone, you've been so helpful!

xx

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay at Grand Anse beach or True Blue Bay resort?

@Susie - its pretty easy to get from TB to the beach. First, the hotel offers a free shuttle. As an alternative, there are the 'reggae' buses as my daughter calls them - very helpful and friendly - actually dropped us off at the entrance of TB from GA beach. Cost 1 way was $3.50ec per person.

Its great here - absolutely no one on the entire GA beach except my daughter and myself this a.m. - just gorgeous! Water was warm - beach itself had great sand.

The definite 'con' to TB is that is remote and if you want to go to town to eat at night, you'll probably need a taxi. We used a taxi last night to go to sushi (Caribe Sushi - awesome!) and it was $30ec round trip just for dinner - not quite sure if you can get the taxi ride cheaper - the hotel called a taxi for us. The hotel may add a surcharge or have an arrangement with the taxi drivers that allow them to charge more - that's been my experience with other hotels in other countries in the past. But since its just my daughter and myself - wanted to be safe.