We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grenada Vacation Information

Boston...
Level Contributor
288 posts
410 reviews
Save Topic
Grenada Vacation Information

Hi

Was planning a Hawaii vacation but it might not happen now so I was looking at a Caribbean vacation instead. I have been to many islands already so now I am now looking at Grenada, Aruba and Bonaire.

I am thinking of a Caribbean vacation in January or February and would like to know more about Grenada.

My questions?

1. How quiet is it? We want some quiet but a place like St. John and Tortola are almost to quiet.

2, Population?

3. Beaches?

4.Snorkeling?

5. Casual accomadation including apt. living?

6. Are the people friendly?

7. Is it British like Bermuda?

8. Any particular area better than others with a small town for shopping and sightseeing?

Thanks in advance.

Boston...
Level Contributor
288 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grenada Vacation Information

Hi

I have been investagating Grenada accomadations and would like to know which of these two places you perfer to stay on a vacation in Grenada?

Coral Cottages and Apartments Vs Mango Bay Cottages?

Thank you

boston
Level Contributor
514 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Grenada Vacation Information

Grenada is absolutely spectacular. The people are second to none, IMO. I've been to a ton of islands and Grenada wins hands down. Beaches are fantastic and very accessible. There is some nightlife so it's not a sleepy place like St John. But it's not party all night either. It's not crowded at all. Due in part to the difficulty in getting there. But it's totally worth it. We stayed in a small apartment but there are several nice, clean, small hotels if that's what you prefer. I highly recommend renting a jeep and exploring every nook and cranny you can.

Boston...
Level Contributor
288 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grenada Vacation Information

Hi

Grenada seems like a great place. I heard that JetBlue flys there from Boston. Thank you for your last email. I am considering Grenada and Curacao.

Can you give me the name of the apartment that you rented and in what area of Grenada?

Thank you in advance

Boston...
Level Contributor
288 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grenada Vacation Information

Hi

My mistake Jet Blue does not fly to grenada and American no also.

One more question?

Who flys to Grenada from Boston? Do you have to fly into San Juan or Miami?

Thank you.

connecticut
Level Contributor
289 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grenada Vacation Information

Hi kappy, I know it's not Boston, but Delta flies non-stop out of JFK.

Boston...
Level Contributor
288 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grenada Vacation Information

Hi again jdgosox,

Just a update to my last two posts as I did more research on your posts to update my questions.

I did some more research and found the car rental on one of your posts called Sanvics was for jeep rentals.You do need a car and I would like to see the whole island also. Thank you. I also see that airlines are not easy. I really do not like to go to JFK as it is to busy. Is there any way through Miami or Atlanta that you know of ?.

I also noticed that you stayed in a condo on BBC beach also known as Morne Rouge which I see is down from Grand Anse Beach. How would you get in touch for a rental?

Do you like Garfield or Umbrella's beach Bar better. Which is more casual?

Thanks in advance

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grenada Vacation Information

Hello - just returned from Grenada - we were there for 9 days and will be returning in August for 8 days.

1. How quiet is it? We want some quiet but a place like St. John and Tortola are almost to quiet -

It was fairly quiet when we were there, but it was off season and the vast majority of the SGU students had returned home for the summer. I'm returning in August when we drop off my daughter at SGU - I'm expecting it to be much busier - because of the students, but mostly on weekends. Seems like every restaurant in Grand Anse closed by 9:00 p.m., 10 at the very latest on weekends. We did not go to Umbrellas or Bananas which could be open later.

2, Population? - The tour guide that showed us around said there are about 100,000 residents

3. Beaches? The beaches were very nice and very clean. There's quite an undertow at some of them though, so use caution. I liked the BBC beach and Grand Anse. The water was extremely warm and inviting. The country, much to my surprise - is extremely clean. Although I wonder what their government is doing with the 15% VAT that they collect. The roads are a disaster and there wasn't any huge governmental buildings. I would be really interested to find out what their government is doing with the taxes that they collect.

4.Snorkeling? I haven't snorkeled there yet, but since there are not 'reefs' like you would see in French Polynesia or some of the other great snorkeling sites, I would assume that its similar to Belize - when we return in August we are going to go to Tobago Cays which is a short day trip to another island and the snorkeling there is supposed to be good. I've heard reports that the better snorkeling from shore is at the Rex Grenadian. There's a couple of places where you can go via boat. There's several dive/snorkel guides on the islands that can take you to places.

5. Casual accomadation including apt. living? We stayed at True Blue Resort where each of the units had at least a basic kitchen, equipped with cooking gear and eating utensils. They have family villas which are essentially a 2 story town home with complete kitchen and private plunge pool. Many of the places available report at least a minor kitchen. Coral Cove Cottages (which we visited and toured) had full kitchens complete with everything you would need to cook. The downside to Coral Cove is that it is remote from Grand Anse beach area where many restaurants and places to eat are, although there are a few restaurants in the Lance Eux Pines area (where Coral Cove Cottages are). You'll need a car if you stay there as Coral Cove is at the very end of the road. You can get around without a car as the local public transportation (reggae buses) are abundant and cheap but they didn't seem to run as regularly in the Lance Eux Pines area as they do in Grand Anse or in St. George. We stayed for 9 days and used public transportation the entire time. Never rented a car.

6. Are the people friendly? The people are extremely friendly and very helpful to tourists. They talk in a very low voice however, so be ready to listen carefully to them.

7. Is it British like Bermuda? Yes -

8. Any particular area better than others with a small town for shopping and sightseeing? The Grand Anse area was better for grocery and restaurants, but because the country - overall - is very small, there's not a lot of 'shopping' to be done. The main portion for shopping would probably be down in St. George - but I would avoid that area on the 1st of the month and Fridays. It was extremely busy when we were there and the heat, plus being stuck inside a reggae bus (no air conditioning) prompted a very severe headache.

Thanks in advance. You're welcome!

connecticut
Level Contributor
289 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grenada Vacation Information

American does have flights out of Boston thru Miami, but you're looking at about a 28 hour trip.

I don't like flying in and out of NYC either, but the 5.5 hour total flight time sealed the deal.

Boston...
Level Contributor
288 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grenada Vacation Information

Hi Meadowlark,

Thank you so much for all those answers. I am defintely thinking of Grenada for my next vacation.

I heard some bad press about True Blue Resort but you liked it and would you go there again.? We are looking for apartment living also and will rent a car while there to tour the island so would you say True Blue Resort or Coral cottages is better?

By the way I went to Tahiti in February and stayed in Bora Bora at the Intercontinental Resort for 4 nts in one of the OWB for a special birthday and would highly reccomend it for a once in a lifetime experience. Snorkling was great there.

Snorkeling is not mandtory for this trip. I have also snorkeled in St. John and St. Croix.

Thanks in Advance

Boston...
Level Contributor
288 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grenada Vacation Information

Hi jdgosox,

Do you have any contact info on the BBC condo that you vacationed at?

Thank You.