We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime

thunder bay
Level Contributor
46 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Crime

First, I am sorry to ask about crime, but I booked a trip for myself and my two young daughters to go to St. Maarten. I am a single mom, and the recent report of an attempted abduction of a 14 year old tourist has me very scared. So, I am rebooking my trip. I don't scare easily, and I realize that there are probably circumstances surrounding this incident that I am not aware of, but I need to change the destination. I know crime happens everywhere, and I definitely take precautions when I am traveling, but I need to make some wise decisions about where we are headed. Don't want to go to Disney World AGAIN just because I am scared!

boston
Level Contributor
554 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime

Crime is everywhere. Is Thunde Bay Ontario? You probably have crime there. No matter where you go you should be sensible. Having said that, I never felt unsafe one time in Grenada and we went to every corner of the island sometimes not seeing another tourist for miles.

Brentwood TN
Level Contributor
141 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime

Seriously, the standard "use common sense" approaches apply, but we found Grenada to be very safe feeling FWIW. I even went down town by myself at night and survived! ;-)

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime

Just practice basic safety precautions - the same you would at home - you'll be fine. Very safe place to go. I went alone with my daughter, walked around town, road the reggae buses into St. George, took a tour. Never had issues with anything or anyone. We used public transportation every opportunity we could.

Grenadians are very friendly, out-going people and generally love to help tourists out. They consider it beneath them to be rude and uninviting to foreigners visiting their country.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime

Try Carriacou Island, very low crime and cheap

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
186 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crime

Grenada is one of the safest islands in the Caribbean. That said, you will see some panhandlers and ganja smokers, as well as harmless vendors. Just be sensible and you should have no problems.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crime

We are travelling with a similar mindset as you. We had to abandon SXM many years ago because my maternal instinct just couldnt get comfortable with the increasing crime targetting tourists.

We have been to Grenada many many times and I have never felt unsafe and have not had any experiences that would suggest crime is an issue. We have chosen Grenada again for many reasons - one of them is that we feel very safe when we are there!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crime

We've always felt safe in Grenada, even when we are out late at night. I have also traveled there as a single young(ish) female and drove around the island and never once felt unsafe. Just practice usual common sense.

Montreal QC
Level Contributor
700 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crime

Kids get abducted in Thunder Bay probably more often than you think, or at least attempts happen. I don't see you packing to move to the north pole. It's silly that you allow 1 news report to affect your life to the point of changing destinations.

Bad people exist everywhere no matter how safe the country. Might as well nail your doors shut and never leave home. If you worry this much over one incident then you should worry about any destination, not just St Maarten. If I were you I'd get some anxiety meds because worrying like that over nothing can't be healthy.

I'll give you a perfect example of why you shouldn't worry about it. Find a hotel/country you've been to before, go read the bad reviews for that hotel and then go google up country name + rape/murder/abduction in the same search. You're going to realize that crime happens everywhere, even places you've been to, places you felt perfectly safe.

cbc.ca/news/…bc-parentalabductions.html

Obviously this circumstance might be different than the one you just mentioned but a Thunder Bay resident had their own wife abduct their child.

cbc.ca/news/…thunderbay-dead-man.html

Some more stuff happening in your own backyard. I'm sure you still go to work and aren't going to move. I'm not denying the abduction you mentioned happened, just trying to point out how silly it is to change destinations as a result of it. Luckily for you I think Grenada sounds amazing and it should be incredible. I just don't think you should live your life worrying so much, seems you might need to get some anxiety treatment cause you're worrying way too much about 1 crime if you're changing your plans entirely. I'm sure the links I sent you aren't going to make you move away and it's no different than the incident you mentioned. Bad things sometimes happen in good areas, doesn't mean you should let it change the way you live. I'm not trying to be mean, and I know I somewhat sound like I am, I just find it strange how people are swayed so easily by this type of stuff meanwhile it happens right in their backyard. There are pedophiles, murderers and rapists in Thunder Bay too. Are you going to start homeschooling?

thunder bay
Level Contributor
46 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crime

Wow, links and everything. You are in your 20's? Thanks, but when you have young daughters and are traveling alone as a single female, then I will heed your advice a little more closely. You need a little life under your belt first before giving such judgmental advice. Get a life and stop writing 5 paragraph responses when you don't have the experience to support it.

thunder bay
Level Contributor
46 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crime

Thank you so much to everyone for your understanding responses. It is a difficult question to pose on the forums because people typically respond with the "crime is everywhere" answer. Of course, you need to go away and realize this fact, but it seems that tourists and, in particular, female tourists are being targeted in SXM. There was another attempt at nabbing a female tourist who was staying at the Royal Palms. I will rest easy in my decision. Again, thank you.

Edited: 04 September 2012, 20:59