We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inexpensive eats? - Grand Anse

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
177 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Inexpensive eats? - Grand Anse

Hi all!

Me and my husband will be spending a week in Grenada from Jan 12-19 (excited!). We're staying at The Flamboyant, which to our understanding is about 20 minutes from St. George's. We don't have any meals included at our hotel.

a) Are there any grocery stores near our hotel where we can pick up some items for breakfast ie) yogurt, fruit, bread, etc? Also, snacks for the beach/hiking.

b) Are there any restaurants nearby that offer a cheap breakfast? We can get continental at our hotel for $11US/pp but would like to know some other options.

c) Are there any restaurants around Grand Anse that have reasonably priced lunches and dinners? I know there are lots of beach bars/restaurants but imagine this is more tourist pricing. We've been reading about all of the delicious food and would prefer to eat at regular local restaurants at least some of the time.

I guess we'd just like to get a clearer picture of the dining in the area. There are obviously all of the hotels/resorts at Grande Anse, but are there any good free standing restaurants? We don't even have to go to restaurants per se for lunch (snack stands, etc.).

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inexpensive eats? - Grand Anse

There is the IGA Real Value supermarket located at the Spiceland Mall just down the street from Flamboyant. In that mall, there is also a food court where you can grab some quick bites to eat. You must have a smoothie at the Native Juices place!! For lunch they also have some soups, though they do run out quick of the soups. I know, it's hot, and you're thinking soup?? But it's actually pretty good.

Across the street from Spiceland Mall is Le Marquis shopping centre. There you will find La Boulangerie which has pastries, pizza, pasta, and such. There is also a sushi place next door to it.

Further across the street is nicknamed 'wall street'. There is a small place which has a painted beer brand on its roof. They serve local fare during the lunch. I am not sure which beer brand they now have painted as it seems to change, but you'll see it.

Also at lunch, there is a couple that sets up for some local takeout food in a tent at the playing field in that area. We have bought some food and juice from them and enjoyed it eating at the park across the street.

On the beach is Umbrella's beach bar. They have pretty good appetizers and sandwiches. This one kind of caters to the SGU students and tourists, IMO.

If you walk much further heading north, across the street from the Grenada Grand is another shopping centre with a supermarket. There is Rick's pizza in the back, which has pretty good pizza. I think that is also the general area where Le Chateau had moved to. Le Chateau has good solid food at very reasonable prices.

If you can venture out, I highly suggest getting lunch or dinner at Boots Cuisine! My favorite! :-)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inexpensive eats? - Grand Anse

Btw, if you like the local jams/jellies/syrup (esp. the nutmeg syrup) and want to take some home, the best prices are at the grocery store. I always do my souvenier shopping for gifts for friends at the supermarket. Way better prices than the gift shops.

Grenada chocolate bars are highly recommended if you like dark chocolate.

boston
Level Contributor
535 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Inexpensive eats? - Grand Anse

As usual, Pisterz has it covered. I second the suggestion of the tent at the play field near the round about. We got a big plate of food a couple times and snacked on it throughout the day. Pork, chicken, rice and peas, salad or potato salad. It was very good and super cheap. Maybe 5 EC. And across the street in front of the Bagel shop is a little hut that served different items each day. Also very cheap and very good. She has Roti every third day or so. Get in a jeep and drive around and you will find chicken being cooked by the side of the road and ice cold beer. That, IMO, is the way it should be done. Cheers!

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inexpensive eats? - Grand Anse

We're off to the Flamboyant early March. Thanks for all the useful info. Is the Owl Bar worth going to? x

Toronto
Level Contributor
822 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inexpensive eats? - Grand Anse

Tragic news folks...the roti hut with the beer logo roof is no more! Was under reno last week of December. Now the good news is just near the round a bout heading to Lance Aux Epines is Fish and Chick. Great roti there very local vibe.

Another big up for La Boulangerie. Full breakfast was available very inexpensive and the cinnamon danish? You need these with a cappuccino, trust me.

Edited: 06 January 2013, 16:46
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
177 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inexpensive eats? - Grand Anse

This is great info, thanks so much!

Any other suggestions for breakfast? Lots of good lunch ideas :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inexpensive eats? - Grand Anse

Thanks for the update on the roti hut MacPete! I wonder what happened?? It seemed like a popular place.

Fish and Chick! lol. My friend's favorite hangout. Truly very very local. Don't bother with the chick and fries though. I have not tried their roti, I'll have to try it next time.

What I really miss the most is the cafeteria in the old SGU campus on Grand Anse where there used to be local vendors cooking and selling delicious super cheap meals. Sigh. But I digress, sorry.

Too bad Gibson's at Le Marquis closed. That place had very good breakfast. Now I can't think of another place in the area for brekky. But then again, I hardly am up and about early enough to grab breakfast. LOL.

If you are looking to splurge on one breakfast, I love love the breakfast at Spice Island. I love the saltfish crepe that they do, along with fresh local fruit juice, and cocoa tea. Super expensive at $30+ but the food is enough to share.

I have heard great things about breakfast at Port Louis, but that is not in the Grand Anse area. Sorry.

Bermuda
Level Contributor
46 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inexpensive eats? - Grand Anse

We are currently in Grenada staying at the Grenada Grand but we have stayed at the Flamboyant many times. Take the Flamboyant breakfast for $11 you cannot do better - omelettes made to order, bacon, sausage, toast, fruit , yogurt or pastries are all available plus coffee and fruit juice. The lunch at the Flamboyant beach bar is also good value but you might also want o try Umbrellas just along the beach, great food and drinks at reasonable prices. La boulangerie at the Marquis Mall serves great pizza and pasta and we have eaten there twice so far on this trip. This evening we ate at the sushi restaurant next door but because my husband does not eat fish let alone raw fish he was able to order from the menu at la boulangerie as they are interchangeable. The marquis mall is just behind the Spicelands Mall so walking distance from Flamboyant but you might want to get a taxi back! For dinner one evening please try Coconut Beach which is at the opposite end of Grand Anse from Flamboyant but well worth the taxi ride which will not cost you more than EC$25 (approx $10) you can sit under a thatch roof cabana with your feet in the sand and be served wonderful local food.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inexpensive eats? - Grand Anse

Will definitely try your recommendations. Thank you so much x

Toronto
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Inexpensive eats? - Grand Anse

Thanks to all the posters, there is a lot of valuable information here.

My wife and I will be renting a house and be doing most of our cooking for breakfast and dinners. I have read that the IGA at the Spiceland mall is about the best place to go for groceries. Can someone give me an idea on what the pricing is like on common items?

Chicken

Beef

Vegetables

Vodka

Beer

Wine

Thank you.