We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grenada tours and must sees

East Aurora, New...
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Grenada tours and must sees

Hello, my husband and I are going to Sandals Grenada in late January and staying through early February. We have been to a few Sandals beore and on tours through island routes. They are fun, but pricey and we would like a more authentic feel. I've read that Grenada is relatively safe and fine to explore or take local tours. Does anyone have any MUST SEEs in Grenada or know of any great tour company's?

Grenadatours
Sightseeing Tours
Rhum Runner II
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
East Aurora, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Grenada tours and must sees

Has anyone been to the Friday fish night?

Toronto
Level Contributor
824 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grenada tours and must sees

In no particular order:

La Sagesse beach. OK This one is the top of the list. Picture perfect, calm, sandy bottom for great swimming. The restaurant has great fresh, local food, and the beer is cold. Never seen it crowded. You may not see it on the menu, ask about them doing a grilled fish sandwich for you. You're welcome :o).

- Hike to Seven Sisters. about 45 minutes, at times can be tough slogging, but worth it for a dip or photos.

- Grand Etang Park, monkeys come out to feed from the guides, if you like monkeys.

- Grand Anse Beach, the gold standard of Caribbean beaches. Powder white sand, great for a long walk with someone special and lots of amenties to stay properly hydrated. Coconuts Restaurant for the lambi calypso is worth seeking out.

- The Beach House for a special dinner. White linen service, attentive, never intrusive great local food.

- La Boulangerie, across from Spiceland mall. Hot, fresh cinnamon rolls and great coffee to start your day.

- ANYbody selling food at the roadside. Roll down your windows if you need help deciding.

- Magazine (BBC) Beach on a Sunday. Mix and mingle with the locals, you might get invited to join their BBQ for lunch. Bring a few cold beers, make some new friends.

- De Big Fish restaurant. Coconut shrimp and nutmeg ice cream. Trust me, you don't need to know anything else.

- Prickly Bay Marina - thin crust pizza, live music some nights, cold beer, yachts to dream about...

You might want to consider changing your return flight home, we're just getting started here. Wait until Pigsterz weighs in!

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
De Big Fish
De Big Fish
53 Reviews
Grenada
Prickly Bay Marina
Prickly Bay Marina
210 Reviews
Grenada
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grenada tours and must sees

MacPete gave you a great run down!! Let me see if I can add some more. Vacation is always way too short to see all the neat stuff in Grenada.

- Belmont Estate to learn about cocoa processing and get to walk on cocoa beans being dried on racks. A really unique experience!

- River Antoine Rum Distillery where they stil make rum the old-fashioned way. Easy on the sample of the overprooof version. Yowza, it will might make you cry.

- Visit one of the nutmeg processing stations (there is one in Gouyave) where you will see racks and racks of nutmegs and learn how they are processed and made ready for market.

- Definitely a trip to the Saturday market in town. Vibrant and very interesting to see so many tropical fruits and vegetables.

- A daytrip to the Grenadines is amazing! Pricey but worth it for the beautiful scenery you will get to see. You will also be able to snorkel with the turtles in one of the cays.

- My not miss restaurant for a local meal is Boots Cuisine. Run by the McSween family on their home's front porch. Great food and wonderful hosts. Dinner is by reservation only (and cash only) as they open only when they have guests coming. Lunch is more casual and no reservations needed.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,164 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grenada tours and must sees

Along with Seven Sisters I highly recommend Honeymoon Falls which is on the same trail - when you get to the level of the Seven Sisters - you'll see the falls to your immediate left at this point you'll see a small trail almost straight ahead of you that branches up and to the right - follow that trail to the top to Honeymoon Falls - nice rock basin that's perfect for a dip. If you are not experienced hikers, you should consider hiring a guide - there are usually a couple of guides at the trailhead.

Other must -sees:

if you like snorkeling, check out the Underwater Statue Garden off Moliniere Pt - most tours will include a stop at Flamingo Bay reef.

Marquis / Royal Mt Carmel on the east side of the island is worth checking out - 2 falls, the upper doesn't have a basin, the lower is a natural waterslide and has a nice basin for swimming - this video shows the falls and the slide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bamm2tUA0oM

St George's is good for at least half a day of exploring - great views from Ft George and the Carenage is quite picturesque. I also recommend a sunset stop at Ft Matthew - amazing view out to the Caribbean - there's a bar in the Ft where you can get a drink.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
East Aurora, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Grenada tours and must sees

Thank you so much for all the excellent input! My stomach is already growling.. Fresh fish, nutmeg ice cream.. Yum!! Swimming with sea turtles and dream beaches, January can't come soon enough!

Milford...
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
673 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grenada tours and must sees

Wow, so much to do!! Thanks so much for all the info!!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
127 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grenada tours and must sees

Good advice

caribjournal.com/2013/…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
127 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grenada tours and must sees

Oh, and you must do this!

https://www.facebook.com/ConservationKayak

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
116 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grenada tours and must sees

Lots of good advice in here :) thanks everyone- January can't come soon enough....

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Grenada tours and must sees

Who has taken a day trip to the Grenadines for snorkeling and if so any charters you might recommend? When we had been to Barbados swam with big school of turtles and it was amazing! Would love the opportunity again.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Get answers to your questions about Grenada