We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airlines to Grenada

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Airlines to Grenada

Hoping to go to Grenada this coming xmas week.

Flying from NYC.

I have a choice of Carribean Airlines which flies out at 1:55 PM and Delta which is a red-eye (flies out at 12:35 AM).

I have never flown Carribean. Yet, I hate the thought of a red-eye.

Anyone with views on the better choice, both from the point of view of the airline being reliable and on time and the pros/cons of getting into Grenada exhausted from being up all night. (I don't usually manage to sleep on planes.)

St. George's...
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airlines to Grenada

I don't see the point of all the stress of flying out at 12:35 am as your villa (or hotel) is unlikely to let you check in that early, or if you do you will be paying extra. That is peak season, and everyone will be booked solid. We still have room here in one villa over Christmas but that won't last long now that August is drawing to a close!

Avoid LIAT when at all possible, and although the Caribbean Airlines flights from North America have very poor entertainment and food they are perfectly fine otherwise if you bring your own sandwich & book/ipad, etc. and their relatively comfortable seats (I've had much worse on Virgin) and charming flight crews help balance that immensely. I flew with them again from Toronto just this week. They should get you here within 5 hours, so you'd be landing by 7pm (summer hours) - we don't do Daylight Savings here, so in the winter that would be 6pm in Grenada.

WATCH that your flight is direct to Grenada, not spending a night in Trinidad! They (CA) are not terribly clear about that on their website you have to make sure by looking at the flights carefully.

Edited: 15 August 2013, 12:58
Toronto
Level Contributor
824 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airlines to Grenada

We've flown Caribbean and quite liked it. Efficient, friendly service and it was direct GND - YYZ (Toronto) and the flight times suited us.

As stated, watch the layover in Trinidad, it can be overnight at the airport.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Airlines to Grenada

Thanks for the advice. My villa will let me arrive early. However, now the dilemna has changed. Going in on a Friday. Carribean does not fly from NYC on a Friday. So it is red-eye (Delta) non-stop from NYC or American 9 hours via Miami. Any thoughts on the agony of red-eye vs the agony of 9 hours via Miami? Never did a red-eye and was hoping never to do one. But now it is unclear which option is best.

boston
Level Contributor
543 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Airlines to Grenada

I think you've answere your own question with the red eye. It's a nightmare. Especially if you can't sleep.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airlines to Grenada

But if your villa will let you check-in early, wouldn't it be better to get there and relax the day away? Either sleep in bed or by the pool. The 9 hours via MIA is exhausting ... so much so that you are tired by the time you get to Grenada, and you end up sleeping in late the next day to recover.

For us who fly out of Washington Dulles, the leg to MIA leaves at 6 am which means we are at the airport by 4 am or so. We then hang out at the MIA airport unitl the flight leaves later in the afternoon. Even using the Admirals Club while in MIA, it is not restful at all. Personally I would rather fly the red-eye and relax the day in Grenada.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
116 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airlines to Grenada

We are flying out of Michigan through Delta on a Friday evening to NYC then taking the red eye to Grenada. I'd much rather do this option as we get to Grenada at 6:30AM vs. 8:30PM. We looked into the Caribbean airlines as well but thought this was the best option for us. My husband is also worried about not being able to sleep but we plan on staying up late the night before to help. Either way if we were going to be tired from travel the first day we'd rather have the option of being tired on the beach versus being stuck in airport. To each their own though.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Airlines to Grenada

Thanks for all the input. I am going to take the red-eye. It will be my first red-eye. I don't sleep on planes no matter what, so I guess I will get a nap on the beach or just stay up a very long time. A couple of friends thought it was a "no brainer" and I decided to give it a try. The same couple of friends said that a 5 hour red-eye is too short to actually get any useful sleep anyway.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
116 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airlines to Grenada

Good luck :) can't wait to check out this island and sandals new resort :p

Edited: 17 August 2013, 17:14
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
479 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airlines to Grenada

My wife and I are also taking the Delta redeye in January..no choice because we are redeeming our Delta miles for the trip. I am not to worried about the lack of sleep...we are transferring to the Grenadines and will just sit by the beach and drink some rum punches and sleep well that night!

On another note...does anyone know WHY Delta made a redeye out of the JFK-GND flight??? Its the only redeye Delta has to the Caribbean that I am aware of...just curious on the logic.

I asked the question on Flyertalk.com with some response: flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles/1488688-j…

Beachwood NJ
Level Contributor
781 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airlines to Grenada

We are also taking the Delta Red Eye in March. I work 12 hr night shifts so my sleep patterns are bizarre anyway!lol I just wish they travelled more than 1 day/wk. We are just 9 days short of our free week but can only book 7 because of the Sat only travel option.