We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Grenada, the official highway code

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,132 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Grenada, the official highway code

Having driven over there for months, dese is de rules...

Officially drive on de left, but only when going round de west clockwise mornings. Its easier to remember to drive in de shade...

During the day the official greeting is to give it the horn, but at least twice, once is rude. Waving is permitted above victoria on the west side instead during wet season (those house sized rocks above you on the hillside shouldnt be disturbed...)

At night make sure your headlamp (2 is just showing off) is on high, so you can dip it (only for a moment) as a greeting.

Bus driver always have right of way, they drive with eyes closed cause by now they really know the road, but you werent there last time they went through.

Theres no testing, if someone has a really old car it really might only have brakes on 2 wheels, so dont assume they can go or stop like you.

Before driving off check under your car for sheep/goats. They love to sleep there, and running the, over is not friendly. Cows wont fit, but they do like to scratch those itches against your car.

Dont park under a fruit tree, or goats will use your car to get to them, and scratch your roof.

Dont park under a coconut tree, dont even ask...

Dont park by a manchineel tree, unless you want an untouchable car after rain.

Remember, St Georges has a Uni that trains doctors, but it has maternity and broken bones as its specialities, in a car, the first could be handy, the second is unlikely to be good enough when your car leaves the road on de mountain. Bad crashes mean La Qua, so seriously, drive to arrive/survive.

(La Qua brothers are The local funeral home owners...)

Edited: 18 September 2013, 11:39
24 replies to this topic
Winston-Salem
Level Contributor
163 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Grenada, the official highway code

Pretty much nailed it.

London,UK
Level Contributor
163 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Grenada, the official highway code

Lol, very funny, but true! : )

Toronto
Level Contributor
822 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Grenada, the official highway code

The description is spot on. May I add to it?

Coming from Canada, we would start each journey with a song...."to de leff, to de leff".

Mandoo, our local guide, has a great saying: undertakers love overtakers.

Relax Mon, is de ilons, and you're on holiday.

Stay safe

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Grenada, the official highway code

Ok, I guess I missed a lot when I drove in Grenada. My biggest fear was passing oncoming traffic on narrow stretches with steep drop-offs, no curbs and no guardrails.

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,132 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Grenada, the official highway code

Bump

St. George's...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in Grenada, the official highway code

lol. but honestly speaking despite what, the accident history is low for the type of rds we have and the amount of traffic. Maybe that's why you can drink and drive at any hour and talk on the phone while driving at your own pace.

Just my two cents

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,132 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in Grenada, the official highway code

Bump

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving in Grenada, the official highway code

same rules apply in any caribbean island i have been to

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
373 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving in Grenada, the official highway code

Brilliant! And how true. We were rather alarmed at the driving methods we saw. Especially with all the goats roaming around, and then the little kiddies (looking gorgeous in their school uniforms) walking home on the roadsides.

Apparently the main signalling method is the horn - there are many different forms of horn usage to mean many different things. All I can say is thank goodness we didn't hire a car and drive ourselves, LOL!

And @ MacPete, we actually saw a sign on the side of the road saying "undertakers love overtakers"!

Mind you, while in Cuba last year we were being driven along a main road when a cow suddenly leapt across the road right in front of us. How our guide/driver missed it, and without hitting other cars, is a miracle.

Oh, the joys of holidays!

Toronto Canada
Level Contributor
506 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving in Grenada, the official highway code

Too funny!! Exactly why we are going to hire someone to drive us around in Grenada.

KK

Reply to: Driving in Grenada, the official highway code
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grenada