We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfare

Fairhope, Alabama
Level Contributor
200 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Airfare

We are going to Sandals Grenada in June,I've been looking at airfare prices. I found some for $654/pp. Only problem is I get there at 8:00 at night. Total paid day wasted. Has anyone else booked airfare? Does that seem like a reasonable price??

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
487 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfare

That price is about right...maybe you can get $500ish something on off season but you are in ballpark. Also there are very limited flight options to Grenada via the USA. What route are you flying to gte there? There is a Delta redeye leaving JFK at 12:36 AM arriving to GND at 6:30AM> Also consider flying to another Caribbean island such as Barbados, Trinidad, Antigua, Puerto Rico, at less cost then flying to GND and then flying LIAT airlines direct to GND...

Fairhope, Alabama
Level Contributor
200 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfare

Would that be cheaper?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
487 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfare

I dont know...you have to research it..so many factors like when you are flying, what options you are willing to take etc etc. Also, what about flying to GND a day early and arrive at 8:00PM the night before your Sandals trip and stay one night at another hotel? Thats possible. Could be a slightly cheaper airfare too to help offset the cost of the extra room night..

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfare

If you are going to fly to another island and then plan to take LIAT, I would caution you. LIAT is not the most reliable airline...they have a tendency to cancel flights, have delays, sometimes leave early!

LIAT = Leave Island Any Time... Luggage In Another Town. Here's a blog on it, though it was from 3 years ago, they have not improved much! caroundtheworld.com/2010/…

Your trip is pretty far out. I would hold off on booking a flight at this point. With the arrival of Sandals, perhaps they'll bring about better flight options. That airfare is pretty much the going rate on AA.

Edited: 20 September 2013, 20:11
Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,453 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfare

Liat not suggested. Very unreliable and can be long waits which prevent you from making connections. Have had only one good flight with them. All the others have had long delays.

Buckhorn, Canada
Level Contributor
572 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airfare

Here's hoping LIAT isn't that bad. We are flying from Barbados to Grenada and LIAT is pretty much our only option. Anyone have any recent experience?

Fairport, New York
Level Contributor
810 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airfare

LIAT, case in point. Arrived in San Juan for LIAT flight and was told that the flight was cancelled, No offer to re-book or even get a refund. Walked down to Cape Air and booked, they asked if we wanted round trip and did not hesitate on that one. Took 1 1 months to get LIAT to refund only after I got FAA involved.

Stay clear of LIAT!!!!

Toronto Canada
Level Contributor
517 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airfare

BuckhornOntario,

Have you checked Air Canada? They are flying direct both Monday and Tuesdays. It may not start until Nov and only run until the mid - end of April but it's a lot better than (faster) stoping in Barbados and flying LIAT.

I was originally booked in April to fly with A/C on a Saturday when they changed their flights to Mondays. They offered me the same flights as you have but it was more epensive and took twice as long.

You might also wan to look ar Caribbean Air. They fly out of Toronto to Grenada at least once a week. I think the flight out of Toronto is direct - but the return flight had a top over or something I didn't like.

Too bad it's so difficult flying out of the US,

KK

Buckhorn, Canada
Level Contributor
572 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airfare

Hi KayKay. We are spending a month in Barbados first, then going to Grenada, hence the LIAT. Checked other options to get from Barbados to Grenada but found nothing. Got a really good one way fare with AC to Barbados and flying Caribbean Air home from Grenada. Originally had booked AC home on the Saturday and , as you said, that flight got changed. But we had booked a rental villa until Saturday so Monday didn't work so well for us. And Caribbean Air home was almost half the price.

If anyone knows of other options to get from Barbados to Grenada, would love to know.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airfare

Since you will be in Barbados already flying LIAT is pretty much the only option unless you charter a flight which is very pricey. At least you will already be on the island (Barbados). It is more worrisome and defiitely not recommended for those that are trying to connect coming in another airline from elsewhere.

Some tips... be sure to check in on time and be at the gate early. LIAT can leave late, or leave early before actual departure time. Seats are not really assigned. You have a seat # on your ticket but once they board, it is a free for all! When you start seeing people lingering at the gate door, that is the start of the line...well, not quite an orderly line as we know it.

Get answers to your questions about Grenada