We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fishing

Do we need a fishing license to just fish off the surf and/or the pier near the Cruise ships?

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing

Its not allowed in the marine parks, but feel free to do it round the town. Treat it as hook optional and take beer, don't eat anything caught there, the waters not the best in the town, and don't be disappointed when you don't catch much.

If you want to fish, there's plenty of boat based sport fishing and proper beach fishing in other areas of the island.

The sea there is full of good stuff, just look in the fish market in Guave, even St Georges. Just not around the beaches of St Georges.

Edited: 31 October 2013, 22:05
Mentioned in this post
Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing

Hi Bob, when you say proper beach fishing?

We are over in 3 days and its a holiday based around fishing, but so far found very little info on the shore fishing, we will be going lure fishing mainly

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing

Theres not much to catch close to any shore anywhere out of the parks. Think of it from the fishes point of view, the sometimes polluted desert of the coastal beaches or the vibrant ecosystems of the reefs?

Like most of the caribbean, the real sealife is on the reefs or at the margins of the islands shelf, well offshore. If you want to catch fish you have to do it offshore. If you are only there for a couple if days you will have to book a sport fishing boat. If you were ther for longer you might pay someone in Guave to take you out, but its a likely route to getting ripped off if you dont know whos who. Just look at the local fish markets, the life out there is very healthy.

The only real exceptions are around clean river outlets where nutrient rich fresh water mixes with the sea. Great shore fishing south of Cancun in mexico and Belize as a result.

Im betting there is some fishing on the eastern side near river outlets, but i still wouldnt eat them...

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing

Not going there to eat them Bob!!

Got 2 weeks so will be going to have a look up the east side then.

cheers Graham

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
151 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing

Hello,

There is good/great shore fishing anywhere that people snorkle. People snorkle to see fish. Fish at those places. Grande Anse is a sandy bottom and not much action but I will be trying the rockier part toward the town in a few weeks. Idon't no much about the Grenville/Atlantic side, but I have had luck on the Georgetown side of the island. Don't expect 20 pound fish, but if you have light tackle and small hooks, you should be happy.

I have heard rumors of Tarpon caught off Grande Anse Beach at night but it does not look like the tarpon hot spots here.

Offshore fishing is very expensive in Grenada. I have not gone as I can go with friends here in Savannah. I have talked to people who have gone in Grenada and they do catch fish that impress non-fishermen. I have not taked to anyone who went after Marlin, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Grenada
Grenada
Caribbean
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing

I once saw about 10 years ago an approx thousand pound marlin tied to the side of a fishing boat brought into Guave, the fishers told me thay had agreed to 500 dollars for the whole fish, to some hotel. What i missed was that it was 500 EC not US...

There was a record tuna caught some years back.

NB i have done a fair bit of diving round the island, a few really big reef fish, but honestly ive never seen anything significantly worth catching close to shore exceot possibly a few barracuda. There are some really big lion fish about, and they are fair game anywhere.

Edited: 07 November 2013, 14:46
Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishing

Please report how you make out. We will be there in Jan in the Grand Anise area and my husband just likes to toss a line to kill time

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fishing

Okay, thanks for the replies , will post on success or lack of after.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fishing

Hi Souz, the shore fishing can be at best and fairly described as hard.

Very little on lures, bait fishing[ squid/prawns] will catch morays and probably snapper at night ,possibly a jack or two.

For a very good value for money boat trip contact the lads at the D2O dive centre at the Grenadian, Tom roy or Blogger will put you in touch with their brother not guaranteed to catch, but if he does Hubby will be smiling all night

tight lines Graham

Edited: 29 November 2013, 14:41
Mentioned in this post
Grenadian by Rex Resorts
Grenadian by Rex Resorts
2,001 Reviews
Grenada
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fishing

How did you get on? I have been surf/beach fishing in Grenada for 7 years or so and caught all sorts of fish from snapper to gar. My favorite spot was in front of the rex hotel. All the best.

Mentioned in this post
Grenada
Grenada
Caribbean