We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grenada airport question

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
479 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Grenada airport question

We have a 3 hour layover at Grenada airport...arrive at 6:00AM from JFK and depart 9:00 AM for Union Island.

A few questions:

1. Does the airport have free WiFi?

2. Are there ATMS?

3. Are there sit down restaurants before or after security open that early?

Thanks!

Toronto
Level Contributor
243 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grenada airport question

1. Does the airport have free WiFi? Yes, I believe they do.

2. Are there ATMS? There is a Exchange Counter, not sure when they open in the AM.

3. Are there sit down restaurants before or after security open that early? There is a cafe after you go through security, you just order what you want, and the restaurant delivers it from upstairs.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
479 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grenada airport question

Thanks! Are there any restaurants open that early that are walkable from the airport with luggage in tow?

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grenada airport question

the restaurant at La Heliconia is within walking distance - about 10 minutes or less and opens at 7am - www.laheliconia.com/bar_restaurant.html

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grenada airport question

If its normal o'clock, aquarium restaurant and beach are about 500 metres. Not for breakfast...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grenada airport question

It sounds like you will just be transiting through GND. Question is, will you be allowed to go outside the airport since usually you have to clear immigration and customs, and you'll need to fill out an immigration form. The form asks which hotel you are staying. I honestly do not know how it works if one is just transiting through. Just thought I would throw it out there as something to look into.

St. George's...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Grenada airport question

Hi there, if you are transiting, you will not be able to go outside, how ever there is free wifi in the departure launch area. ATM machine is on the outside of the airport meaning that you will not be able to have access to it. You can order from the restaurant inside.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
479 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grenada airport question

Interesting...this is contradictory to what SVG Air told me...they said I would have to clear immigration/Customs, exit security, pick up my luggage, check in the SVG Air desk, then go back thru security.

If I have to go through security to collect bags and back again then what prevents you from going outside or access to the ATM? Honor code? Not trying to be funny, just curious...

Edited: 16 January 2014, 14:54
Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grenada airport question

Whether you are allowed in, like any country really, depends not upon whether you have a hotel booked, but whether the immigration people think you should be let in, which depends on your passport and reasons for wanting to visit. "I am flying out tonight and want to spend the day on the beach" is by itself lilely to be acceptable, so long as your passport allows entry and they believe you.

Grenada isnt a 3rd world country like the USA where they wont let you in unless you have paid them money weeks in advance and where they will make you wait for 2 hours while they check to make sure you have paid. Given my last ESTA was issued in 20 seconds online i strongly doubt its security usefulness, but im sure it makes some money.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
479 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grenada airport question

So do you go through immigration, then collect your bags, then go thru customs, then exit security?? I guess I just first assumed the baggage claim was outside of everything

Toronto
Level Contributor
243 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grenada airport question

You need to clarify, Grenada IS A 3rd world country, the USA is not!