We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your resort/island opinion for our 4-yo boy and us parents

NJ
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Your resort/island opinion for our 4-yo boy and us parents

Hello,

We are planning a late June first-time visit to non-US Caribbean islands (went to St. Croix for work). I've looked hard at State Department travel advisories and island profiles, because safety is our biggest selection factor. I've been around long enough to know that where ever we go, within and outside the US, we need to be careful. Anyway, we've narrowed down our island list to: Turks & Caicos, Barbados, St. Lucia, Dominica, and Grenada. Others are off the list due to safety; BVI and Cayman are off because reviews generally mention those being so built up that you don't even feel like you are in the Caribbean.

We are looking for the happy medium. Here is our wish list:

1. family friendly; we aren't interested in baby-sitting services, or activities for kids that parents can't also attend

2. pampering-type resort on a nice beach (ie, good service, kitchen in-room even if AI, AI is okay, good food with variety); we do want to feel pampered, because we rarely get away

3. large property (we are not interested in going off the resort frequently, except for must see natural areas like jungles/mountains and grocery store to stock the kitchen)

4. nice pool(s) (maybe with some shade?), calm ocean

5. out of hurricane alley

6. direct flight from NJ area airports

7. rental-car/driving friendly so we can do a couple day trips to natural places

Is this possible within $500/night for two adults and one child?

I'd love to have your opinion on resorts, and even islands, that you think would fit our wishes best. Thanks!!!

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your resort/island opinion for our 4-yo boy and us parents

I dont believe any of the islands mentioned by you can meet your requirements. June is early for a hurricane but all the iskands mentioned are there. They dont do really large resorts either, stick to somewhere like Cancun for that, also in the hurricane zone.

Considered Dubai or Thailand?

One option you havent considered is Tobago, which is a rich but not overly developed island, good medical services in Trinidad next door, and out of the hurricane zone.

In Grenada the only big resort like that is sandals but thats not really the islands sweet spot IMHO, its more about smaller boutique experiences.

Edited: 18 January 2014, 23:02
NJ
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Your resort/island opinion for our 4-yo boy and us parents

That is good food for thought! We are trying to avoid long flights. Hence the list we initially came up with. I will take a second look at Tobago. It is okay if the hotel isn't huge, if the grounds are somewhat spacious by the pool and beach.

Winston-Salem
Level Contributor
163 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your resort/island opinion for our 4-yo boy and us parents

I'm a big fan and frequent viisitor of Grenada. Lots to do in Grenada that would fit your needs. Definitely Caribbean vibes. If Grand beach resort gets their act together I would recommend there. Maybe they will work out the kinks by June. T&C (grace bay beach) has several resorts that meet your requirements but not as much Caribbean vibe. Certainly easier to get to than the other places you mentioned. Also, as mentioned, Cancun or Playa del Carmen offers the AI resort experience and is easy to get to if beach and pool are the priorities. Although I have not been I hear great things about Belize and Costa Rica too. All the best wherever you decide.

NJ
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Your resort/island opinion for our 4-yo boy and us parents

We have (sadly) shelved Grenada until my son is much older and we feel like dealing with connections, etc. I found some direct nonstop flights from Newark and JFK to Providenciales, Barbados, St. Lucia, and Grand Cayman. So we will focus on one of those for our rare vacation opportunity. The other places you mentioned i wouldnt be allowed to go to per my bosses due to travel warnings. Thank you for taking the time to provide advice!

5. Re: Your resort/island opinion for our 4-yo boy and us parents

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 05:18