We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grenada or Tobago?

Suffolk England
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Grenada or Tobago?

Looking to book one of the above for October. Thoughts anybody? We like a nice relaxing beach holiday

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,128 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grenada or Tobago?

Grenada is my favourite place in the caribbean fullstop.

However, if someone who has never been to the caribbean asks me i usually say go to tobago. It is a similar but gentler island geographically, not as wild, it is a bit cheaper to get to from the uk, and its possible to rent houses in the crown point area reasonably cheaply (see justgrenada.co.uk.). NB in Grenada, all the action is around st georges, in tobago its not around the capital, its around crown point, and dont worry about the airport, its all very quiet.

Because of the vicinity of oil rich trinidad its infrastructure and roads are better, and its possible to get more variety of out of season fruits. Ironically a lot of them come from grenada, but tobago has more organised cold storage.

So if you know what to expect from a caribbean island in general, and want to see the real beauty of rainforests and the most georgeous desserted beaches, it has to be Grenada, if its your first experience and you want a villa, Tobago. Im not necessarily saying use them but the websites and companies justgrenada and justtobago are good start points. I know they know the islands and will advise reasonably honestly, i used to use them before i got more local connections.

Suffolk England
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grenada or Tobago?

Thanks for your reply. Very helpful. We have seen good deals of exactly same price for all inclusive hotels to both islands. We prefer hotels and all inclusive. It's easier!

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,128 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grenada or Tobago?

Go for what you prefer,but honestly, there is a really good collection of all classes of restaurants in both areas, and AI is invariably done to a cost rather than a quality.

Its a trend that more chains are increasing their profits by going AI only. Techniques like factory cooking regionally or globally then sending out frozen ready meals are used. Consider this, prawns are available all over the caribbean, but there are no local commercial fisheries for them locally. The US fresh items are too expensive for them. Grown in fish farms in Thailand or Bangladesh, they are shipped to the US or Europe then sold in bulk. The hotels then send them back to India or Thailand to be deshelled deveined and possibly turned into scampi or similar, then sent back. As they are frozen, refrozen, and not easy to trace whilst hygenic probably, its not good..

Cooking using local ingredients is time consuming and hotel chains are more interested in cost and uniformity than taste. The many small hideaway hotels like petit anse in grenada can manage the local supply chain and use local cooking to marvellous effect. Some even have their own market gardens.

The amazing organic rums, fruits and organic produce of these islands are some of their best aspects, and by using AI you just dont get this. Its an infrastructure issue too. Local individuals grow things and sell them in the market, no hotel can guarantee a supply of the good stuff, so its easier to use frozen imports.

E.g. Coco reef hotel in tobago is sold as a quality AI, i dont knowchow they do it but in my experience their food just isnt as good as the food sold next door in the local vendors market, which is where all the locals (and i) go for lunch.

Theres also a nicer feeling to giving your money to the island rather than an american or european corporation. The way it works is you pay your thousands to a local agent who pays the corporation who send peanuts down to the island to run the property so benefit to the local economy is limited rather than to local businesses who of course keep the money on island.

4. Re: Grenada or Tobago?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2015, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Grenada