We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting around Grenada

Michigan
Level Contributor
1 post
54 reviews
Save Topic
getting around Grenada

My husband and I are contemplating a stay at Petite Anse. I understand it is on the far north side of the island. Have any of you stayed that far north? What was your driving experience from that vantage point? We really like to rent a car so that we can can options for dining and site seeing. I understand that getting to the resort from the airport is 1.5 hours. Is that because of the roads? thanks for any and all advise!~

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting around Grenada

Ive stayed there, Philip and Annie run a great hideaway and are marvellous hosts.

It takes 90 mins of easy driving from the airport, and its very much a quiet rural tropical place, away from the bright? Lights of the capital. Driving isnt a problem, but when you arrive you mght prefer to be driven after x hours in a cold sardine can rather than drive. Esp as you ften arrive at dusk. Next day a leisurly drive in the sun to a nice beach (bathway is the local nicest beach to you and is the photo at the top of the forum) is a different matter.. You will need a car to wander round the sights and spend time on the nicest beaches.

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting around Grenada

See the driving guide i wrote but its all a bit tongue in cheek, its not possible to get seriously lost, a little lost time is fine, roads are quite narrow and there are potholes and it is very hilly, but not terribly dangerous.

The bus drivers are often very quick which is scary over the mountain, but they dont often crash. Take your own car and your own time for a leisurly experience.

I would recommend a vitara 4x4 automatic for ease of use, and its soft ride.

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting around Grenada

If they have it, you should try the local goats cheese, local bacon and local sausages. If they have lobster try a risotto. Oil down is THE national dish.

West Midlands
Level Contributor
366 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting around Grenada

We've stayed at Petite Anse three times now and are planning our fourth visit. Bob is right the journey from the airport after a long flight is quite fatiguing. We have never hired a car, preferring to chill out but other guests at PA say it's a very easy place to drive.

PA is fabulous and it is Anne and Philip who make it such a unique place. The local town, Sauteurs walkable from PA is a typical 'working' town with shops and restaurants catering for the locals, but that just makes it more 'real'.

Few restaurants up that end of the island, Aggies on Bathway Beach is great and the Heights just down from PA but a walk up the side of a mountain is really good.

Food at PA is very good and the cocktails wow!

A great place, a great island, lovely people what else could you ask for?

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting around Grenada

Im guessing you are into walking....

Im probably too lazy, but petit anse is a good 2 miles from the high part of Sauteurs, and like the whole of Grenada, theres a lot of up and down involved. The heights (theres a clue there) is very high, wonderful view, not sure i would walk there though... Also i do second the recommendations on the restaurants, grenadians can cook, and in the north really great ingredients are the norm. You wont believe how good salads are, even i eat them in grenada, and thats saying something. Anything from the sea is probably worth it, and if you leave without trying an oil down, you have missed something...

Arundel, United...
Level Contributor
391 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting around Grenada

We have always managed to get lost several times when driving round the NE end if Grenada Its not straightforward, the road signs are somewhat lacking. Its very non-touristy up there also. If you stay there I think that you would need to hire a car.

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: getting around Grenada

Heres a tip, when you get to any road junction in Gda look closely at the road surface. The option with the blackest stain or the least dust is the main road, regardless of the direction. That has served me well over the last 25 years...

Kitchener Ontario
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: getting around Grenada

We rent a car each time we visit and also get lost each time. That's half the fun - to explore places you never knew existed. Locals are so friendly they will give directions. They know your a tourist and know your lost. Also try and follow 1 of the buses as they take main roads. Know the bus #'s and follow which 1 you need

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,459 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: getting around Grenada

Just make sure if you are following a bus you can keep up with them. They drive really fast on some pretty crazy roads. I am very impressed with their driving skills.

10. Re: getting around Grenada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Grenada
Recent Conversations