We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxury Link/Sky Auction in Grenada

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Luxury Link/Sky Auction in Grenada

Has anyone used Luxury Link or Sky Auction for hotels in Grenada? If so, which hotel did you stay in, and was it worth it to use LL/SA?

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luxury Link/Sky Auction in Grenada

Search for it on the forum, people have used it, a few hotels seem to crop up there repeatedly. Its a way that some hoteliers use up excess stock effectively. However be careful, whats offered is usually the standard room, which might not be the one in the photos, or be the one you really want. Its also used in larger resorts when airlines or consolidators take options on blocks of rooms then back out later which costs them nothing/little but must be annoying for the hotel. Some of the nicest places are small local outfits and have no need to use these services, so just dont appear there.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luxury Link/Sky Auction in Grenada

I have not used Luxury Link yet, but have used Sky Auction in the past. I've been pretty happy with my experience, just be sure to know the rules. Actually I know that it says you cannot change your dates once skyauction books you and confirms with the hotel. But I have pleasantly found that if I contacted the hotels directly, they treated me just like any other guest and I did not feel like a second-class guest just because I had done it through skyauction. I was actually able to change my travel dates a couple of times dealing with the hotel directly. They used to have really nice hotels years ago but I am not seeing the same level lately. I know Laluna used to pop-up there often and it is such a steal.

It used to be (I don't know if this is still the case) that the hotels would pay their membership fees to the Caribbean Travel and Hotel Association by providing X number of nights. CTHA then contracted with skyauction and put the rooms up for bid. At least that is the way it was explained to me an owner of one of the hotels.

philadelphia, pa...
Level Contributor
195 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luxury Link/Sky Auction in Grenada

I am using LL for my trip to Grenada in May - staying at the Mt. Hartman Bay Estates (not offered on LL anymore but I booked it a few months ago). I have been using LL for a long time now and have been very, very happy with the offerings.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Luxury Link/Sky Auction in Grenada

Great to know! It's too bad the new owners of Mount Hartman don't use LL, as I'm considering staying there next year. Please post a review after your stay, I'd love to hear what it's like now that they have new ownership and are doing some renovations!

philadelphia, pa...
Level Contributor
195 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luxury Link/Sky Auction in Grenada

I will post a review - I usually always do after each of my stays. I did hear that the Mt Hartman does have new owners - I hear it is someone from the UK

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luxury Link/Sky Auction in Grenada

I am curious, if the dates you request are not available even though it is within the timeframe listed, does Luxury Link allow you to back out and not be charged? At skyauction they either don't charge you or refund the deposit you've paid. I have seen some offers on LL that I was interested in but I wasn't sure how they handled that situation.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Luxury Link/Sky Auction in Grenada

Anyone who has actually used LL can feel free to correct me, but as I understand it, if you win an auction in LL, you're stuck with it even if they don't have your dates, so it's best to call the hotel directly before bidding and ensure that the type of room in the LL auction package will be available for your dates. For the "buy now" type sales on LL, on the other hand, you only pay if your dates are available - however, the deals generally aren't quite as good for those.

philadelphia, pa...
Level Contributor
195 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luxury Link/Sky Auction in Grenada

I usually always know when I want to travel so when I see something on LL that has availability during my time frame, I check with the hotel to see if they are available for particular dates and if they say yes, then I do the auction. Auctions on LL are not usually refundable except for extraordinary circumstances. Buy it now however, is refundable if you do not get the dates you requested. I have done both since the late 1990s via LL and never had a problem. Just came back from 2 1/2 weeks in Mexico using 3 different LL packages that I cobbled together

Tennessee
Level Contributor
44 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luxury Link/Sky Auction in Grenada

I was fortunate enough to get fantastic deals at Maca Bana (2009) and Mt. Cinnamon (2012) via Skyauction, but I haven't seen those hotels on the website in a few years. I was very pleased with the process, and it seemed like the staff at both hotels treated us the same as if we had paid full price. I had planned to try Laluna next but unfortunately it seems to have disappeared from Skyauction. I've never used Luxury Link.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Luxury Link/Sky Auction in Grenada

Laluna seems to be on LuxuryLink often - have a look!